Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 6:01:56 PM EDT
Edit thread title to say LOWERS b/c I mis-wrote. Topic refers to stripped receivers meaning LOWERS. It's been a long day.

If I were a pessimist – or even just apt to be utterly prepared – I might worry that Kerry could win this thing, and the Democrats could take the Senate and that a new version of an AWB could come quickly to pass next year.

If that happened, there’s no guarantee, of course, that it would contain the sort of grandfather clause that the 94 AWB did. But it’s most likely it would. [Insert discussion of how hard it is to pass ex post facto laws.]

So, supposing I wanted to make best use of this current window of opportunity, and buy as many stripped AR lower receivers as possible as a hedge against a new AWB similar to the last, what ought I buy?

You can say, of course, “buy the best” and decide only to buy the very best possible and buy Armalite or Bushie or RRA or what have you. (Colt doesn’t seem too interested in selling to civilians anyway.)

But  Lenin rightly said that “Quantity has a quality all its own.”  And David Mamet wrote Danny de Vito’s line that “Everyone needs money. That’s why they call it money.”

So. . . assuming you don’t want to buy receivers that are not going to shatter in your hands, but also assuming you’d like to buy five instead of two, what low-cost stripped uppers would you buy? [And who’s parts kits?]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about buying uppers.  The lower is what is actually considered the "firearm" portion of the gun (aka it has the serial number on it)  With that being said, its hard to go wrong with Rock River lowers.  Some other good choices are MEGA, Ammetec and Stinger for low cost options.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
badeffect:

of course I meant lowers. I mis-wrote the thread title. Been a long day. I made the needed edits.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have to say I've never heard of any of the three, so you've given me some to check out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Rock River is about middle of the road as far as price is concerned but very high in quality.  Most of my lowers were RR but recently I purchased the MEGA lowers and really like those.  The fit and finish is excellent on them.  They go for about $90.00 and the RR go for about 105-110.00.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive seen a lot of stuff here on ARFCOM but thats the first post that ever quoted Lenin and Devito in the same breath  Ive got a few RRA's and a bushy lower squirreled away but I had then before the NoBAn thing so I dont think of it a stockpiling..........Udog
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
No question about it, if they are for building, the Mega is the way to go.  If it is for resale, Colt, then Bushie.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Stickman:

Thanks for a reply that's got me thinking, because you makea great point -- the distinction between stockpiling to build or for sale -- that I really hadn't thought about.

Hmmm.

Some of each I'm thinking. Great point.

And Udog, DeVito said it but Mamet wrote it. And hey, Lenin may have been a stinking commie, but when you're right, you're right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 RRA lowers now (all built into rifles), but I am picking up 3 more Stag Arms ones for the future...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Mega, Ameetec, Stag Arms.

Anything else is the same quality for a higher price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Vulcan. They are the Wepunz uf de speshul farces
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, 80% receivers were rare if not non-existent pre '94.  However, they are plentiful now.  If a new AWB were to come in effect, I'm sure it would again have a grandfather clause.  This would mean that pretty much any 80% could be built into a "no-ban" configuration and no one would be able to prove that you put on the evil features after XX-XX-XXXX date.  This is, of course, the new ban isn't a CA-style ban which I think would be near impossible to pass at a national level anytime soon.  

Are there any flaws in this logic?      

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mega, Ameetec, Stag Arms.

Anything else is the same quality for a higher price.

I have a Stag Arms and would not have bought my RRA had I known then what I know now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Once the new ban actually takes effect, there won't be any transfer of pre-ban guns.  You will most likely be able to keep what you have, and if you are really lucky, pass them on to your kids.  Otherwise they will go to a crusher.

So unless you may sell some before the ban goes into effect for a profit, you may not want more than you know what to do with unless you like filling out govt. registration paperwork.

And there won't be any post-bans, think California with blocked lowers and single shots...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know of a good dealer in NE Ohio who has lowers in stock. I can't get the local gunshop to do a transfer for me for a reasonable $ or I'd just order one. The local shop wants $75 to do a transfer for me.
Finnbear
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be easier to answer if it was which one NOT to get. Much of it has to do with what is available in your area. It seems RRA and LAR Stripped Lowers are the easiest to come by here.

MT
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey finn go here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/user/dealernetwork.asp

Just enter your zipcode. I'm sure you'll find someone for around 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anyone know of a good dealer in NE Ohio who has lowers in stock. I can't get the local gunshop to do a transfer for me for a reasonable $ or I'd just order one. The local shop wants $75 to do a transfer for me.
Finnbear

Don't overlook pawn shops either.  Most of THEM have FFL's too.  Last year, for a group buy some friends and I did we ended-up using a pawn-shop to run our transfers because the Lady with the FFL there beat everything the local Gun Stores wanted for the transfers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Finnbear

Don't overlook pawn shops either.  Most of THEM have FFL's too.  Last year, for a group buy some friends and I did we ended-up using a pawn-shop to run our transfers because the Lady with the FFL there beat everything the local Gun Stores wanted for the transfers.

I go to my local pawnshop here.  $15 a transfer
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember, just because it is a stripped lower does not mean it will be pre-ban if a new ban comes.  Just like the old AWB, it was not assembled into a complete rifle BEFORE the ban took affect, it could not be assembled into a complete AW type rifle AFTER the ban went into affect.  So if you are going to get them, assemble them and document with pictures that they were made into complete rifles before any new ban might take affect, and I would use a CAR stock just as added documentation.  Does that mean you have to have an upper for each one?  I wouldn't think so, just put the upper on and document, then put the upper on the next one and document...
Just don't fall victim to having a bunch of stripped lowers laying around thinking that after the next ban comes you will sell them and make a killing due to them being pre-ban, because they won't be.  You know the next ban is going to be MORE restrictive than the last, not less.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Big Bore,

Good points. The plan isn't to stockpile to sell; rather to be able to build. The re-sale discussion wasn't one I'd considered until the post above.

Your documentation point is right on. I think it is likely going to be enough to assemble the lower parts kit, then run an upper and a stock through them and photo.

I agree the next ban (heaven forbid it) will be more restrictive. I'm hoping for (but not utterly counting on) two things being true even in a new ban: the "firearm" will the lower receiver with a serial number and the ban won't be ex post facto.

But that's another reason for looking at cost. I'd rather have a couple GOOD lowers for $180 bucks, than one GREAT lower for $250 if it turns out I can't use them. And if there is a grandfather provision, more guns will be better than fewer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Throw a pistol grip and collapsable stock on, about $70 each, and if a similar ban based on features is passed, you're good to go, grandfathered.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Throw a pistol grip and collapsable stock on, about $70 each, and if a similar ban based on features is passed, you're good to go, grandfathered.

Or drop the LPK in for $50 or so.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Edit thread title to say LOWERS b/c I mis-wrote. Topic refers to stripped receivers meaning LOWERS. It's been a long day.

If I were a pessimist – or even just apt to be utterly prepared – I might worry that Kerry could win this thing, and the Democrats could take the Senate and that a new version of an AWB could come quickly to pass next year.

If that happened, there’s no guarantee, of course, that it would contain the sort of grandfather clause that the 94 AWB did. But it’s most likely it would. [Insert discussion of how hard it is to pass ex post facto laws.]

So, supposing I wanted to make best use of this current window of opportunity, and buy as many stripped AR lower receivers as possible as a hedge against a new AWB similar to the last, what ought I buy?

You can say, of course, “buy the best” and decide only to buy the very best possible and buy Armalite or Bushie or RRA or what have you. (Colt doesn’t seem too interested in selling to civilians anyway.)

But  Lenin rightly said that “Quantity has a quality all its own.”  And David Mamet wrote Danny de Vito’s line that “Everyone needs money. That’s why they call it money.”

So. . . assuming you don’t want to buy receivers that are not going to shatter in your hands, but also assuming you’d like to buy five instead of two, what low-cost stripped uppers would you buy? [And who’s parts kits?]

I worked on that movie in Montreal, Danny is a very nice guy.  
Kentlik

PWA is making new lowers and they are quite good for the money
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 2 mega lowers on the way.  $89 each shipped.  transfer will be $25 total for the pair.  Stockng up here.  hippie.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
. . . , just put the upper on and document, then put the upper on the next one and document...

This is my plan since I'm just now building my first AR-15, have limited funds, and possibly limited time to ensure that I'll be able to have at least 2 (hopefully 3) AR-15's in my future.  I'm even going to go through the effort to change my collaspable stock and lower parts kit between different lowers, since I won't have to cash to complete the lowers any time soon.M.L.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#25]
OK  so how do I contact MEGA, Ameetec and Stag arms?  I haven't heard of them.  I'm not an "old salt" at this AR stuff yet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
OK  so how do I contact MEGA, Ameetec and Stag arms?  I haven't heard of them.  I'm not an "old salt" at this AR stuff yet.

There are adds in the EE

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=153544
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
What about DPMS?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I have put together six DPMS recievers with problems, They are fine and have had no hicups.....And the price was good. I use Colt fire control parts in lowers, I have had a couple of cheap M&A mag catchs break on me but that it. Never had a problem with Bushmaster or Colt either. The two Olympic Arms recievers sucked because the mag well was way under spec and had to be returned to the Factory. I got my dealer to refund me and trade up for Bushmaster..
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I have put together six DPMS recievers with problems, They are fine and have had no hicups.....And the price was good. I use Colt fire control parts in lowers, I have had a couple of cheap M&A mag catchs break on me but that it. Never had a problem with Bushmaster or Colt either. The two Olympic Arms recievers sucked because the mag well was way under spec and had to be returned to the Factory. I got my dealer to refund me and trade up for Bushmaster..

Im sorry Vegas, "with problems" or "with no problems"?  I am guessing with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or drop the LPK in for $50 or so.

Heck if you had to, you could juct put purchase some pistol grips and mount them for photos sakes, not much need for the internals....

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I plan on 3 lowers for rifles and 3 for pistols. Close up pics and video of me shooting them fully assembled. Already have a couple rifle uppers but no pistol. So about $650 for the lowers and I'm not sure how much for at least 1 pistol upper, $400-500? Does this sound about right? Just switch out the uppers and/or stocks for the pics and shoot. What do you guys think? I figured that this way I've covered my bases.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I plan on 3 lowers for rifles and 3 for pistols. Close up pics and video of me shooting them fully assembled. Already have a couple rifle uppers but no pistol. So about $650 for the lowers and I'm not sure how much for at least 1 pistol upper, $400-500? Does this sound about right? Just switch out the uppers and/or stocks for the pics and shoot. What do you guys think? I figured that this way I've covered my bases.

You wouldn't really even have to shoot them.  Just a picture should suffice.  I wouldn't want to have to buy(if your trying to save some money) or switch out(thats a shitload of work for 6 lowers) all those internals just for the BATF's sake.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I mean just switching out the uppers. The shooting is just for fun anyways.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top