Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2004 4:18:14 PM EDT
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with SOCOM MFG AR15 Diamond Series Receivers?
They also now make a upper receiver as well. Thank you for looking.

www.socommfg.com/
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Did a build on one a few months ago. Quite a beefy receiver. Love the lines of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Any pics of it mated with an upper? How's the reinforced area match up?

Looks pretty sturdy!

Larry
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw a few at a shop here but they were high, very high
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Lower with SOCOM upper.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate to break this to you, but the extra beef they put on the lowers is pretty useless. The AR design doesn't put much stress on the lower receiver like some other guns anyway. How many instances of forged lowers breaking have you heard of, even remotely?

I don't know what the weight difference is between these and normal receivers, but I doubt that  it is truly worth the extra weight and price. If there is some reason to own these over a standard lower that I am missing, please let me know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Looks like a sweet setup.  How much does the lower go for, I didn't see the price on their site and haven't seen any in the EE.  

I'm not sure about the upper though, or about slotting my bolt.  It doesn't look like the upper mates very well near the buttstock.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Lower with SOCOM upper.
www.socommfg.com/images/u-right.jpg
www.socommfg.com/images/u-lopen.jpg

Wow, no charging handle and No forward assist, interesting......
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lower with SOCOM upper.

That upper has the charging handle on the side.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hate to break this to you, but the extra beef they put on the lowers is pretty useless. The AR design doesn't put much stress on the lower receiver like some other guns anyway. How many instances of forged lowers breaking have you heard of, even remotely?

I don't know what the weight difference is between these and normal receivers, but I doubt that  it is truly worth the extra weight and price. If there is some reason to own these over a standard lower that I am missing, please let me know.

You are correct on all points, But you forgot about the "COOL FACTOR",
The SOCOM receivers are cool!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lower with SOCOM upper.

That upper has the charging handle on the side.

LoL.. I was goin to say the same thing. Charger on the side. ATTENTION TO DETAIL comes to mind here. ALso Forward Assist is not all its cracked up to be. Infact because of the FA a buddy of mine blew his gun up, If the round wont go into chamber under its current operation or cycle, WHY FORCE IT? If you need to pull back your T handle a bit to check to see if its loaded, jus cycle the action and put the round back in the magazine. The only time I can see one is if you are sniper detail and need to close the bolt slowly and need to get the round seated by using the FA.

sorry for rant. lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct on all points, But you forgot about the "COOL FACTOR",
The SOCOM receivers are cool!

Yup!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The way I see it, you might as well have a forward assist...there's no reason NOT to have one. I do like the idea of a side charging handle however.

Just my $.02

p.s. How did your buddy blow his gun up due to the presence of a forward assist?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's my take on it: (I just copied this from the other SOCOM Lower thread)

I am currently building on one.
I bought it simply for the looks and it will take some work till it meets all my reqiuirements.
Heavy? Yes, but also extememely solid.
The finish apperars very thin and is uneven in some spots. I don't think the black one I have is even really anodized, I could have done a better job with some alumninum black. After I engrave it I will send it off to be hard anodized.
The forward lip of the mag well will have to be milled about 3/8" at a 45deg angle to accept Beta C-mags.
Has some great flat spots to engrave on, pity the manufacturer found it necessary to use the two largest ones to engrave its info. Don't know exactly why they engraved on both sides of the mag well (in 3/16" letters) and some of the stuff is engraved again on the grip mounting stub.
The springs and detents mount a little differently but a good idea, you don't have to worry about the rear takedown detent spring flying off when mounting or detaching your stock.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes cool looking but how much extra wieght ???????
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top