Posted: 9/28/2004 5:09:42 PM EDT
Any sources??

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 Sales has them.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking into this as well but found that swapping out the FSB can be problematic. They are pinned (taper pins)  in assembly so the chances of being able to just swap out FSBs and have the sight properly aligned are slim.

Getting the new FSB to be properrly oriented could be a bitch. You might just want to save the headache and get a new barrel assy.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Bravo Company USA, a vendor in the industry forum sells them.  In fact they sell the "F" marked ones needed to properly sight in carry handles and aftermarket BUIS.

www.bravocompanyusa.com

Yankee Hill Machine also sells them.

www.yhm.net
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was looking into this as well but found that swapping out the FSB can be problematic. They are pinned (taper pins)  in assembly so the chances of being able to just swap out FSBs and have the sight properly aligned are slim.

Getting the new FSB to be properrly oriented could be a bitch. You might just want to save the headache and get a new barrel assy.

YMMV

Slim is better odds than I would give it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Agreed.  I have a Tool & Die background and I understand what a bitch it would be to "re-machine" the taper holes.  Getting the barrel and sight oriented is one thing. Having it stay in place as you  hit the existing tapered holes in the barrel is another thing. While a FSB casting may be $12, all of the dicking around would exceed the cost of a new barrel, perhaps $150, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Agreed.  I have a Tool & Die background and I understand what a bitch it would be to "re-machine" the taper holes.  Getting the barrel and sight oriented is one thing. Having it stay in place as you  hit the existing tapered holes in the barrel is another thing. While a FSB casting may be $12, all of the dicking around would exceed the cost of a new barrel, perhaps $150, IMHO.

I'm going to do one, when I get the jig done - note to self: complete the jig already.  Anyway, I'm going to fill the old holes with Devcon "A" metal, let it cure and machine the gas block step smooth.  Then it will essentially be like starting from scratch.  If Devcon can hold up to the rigors of a nuclear power plant running for 18 months straight, it'll hold up under a FSB.

Edited to add:  I was thinking of using the titanium version of the Devcon, but that stuff is VERY HARD to machine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Local gun smith,going to install one  for me,he going charged me $25.

TG
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

I'm going to do one, when I get the jig done - note to self: complete the jig already.  Anyway, I'm going to fill the old holes with Devcon "A" metal, let it cure and machine the gas block step smooth.  Then it will essentially be like starting from scratch.  If Devcon can hold up to the rigors of a nuclear power plant running for 18 months straight, it'll hold up under a FSB.

Edited to add:  I was thinking of using the titanium version of the Devcon, but that stuff is VERY HARD to machine.

I'm not very familiar with Devcon, but if you produce a fixture and can effectively fill the holes it would certainly work. Hell I'd advertise and start doing conversions. I'm sure there is a market for this service if the price was right. The $25 price TexasGunman got is really cheap, way less than the prices I was getting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI, Devcon "A" metal is a metal infused epoxy, machinable when cured, temperature resistant to 350F and it is resistant to most chemicals.  In the area under the FSB, this would likely not see heat beyond this.  You could always substitute the Devcon Titanium Epoxy for a little added strength, but machining becomes a little harder, but not too much.  The more I look at it, the more I think that the Titanium mix would be a better application.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I just installed an evil fsb on my wife's AR M4gery last weekend.  I have a pretty good background with tools, and am pretty anal retentive about measurements and such, but I wouldn't attempt this operation again. (A little liquid courage and a typical mechanic's ego--hell, it's only 2 holes...I can do that!)  Personally, I think I got pretty damn lucky that I got it on straight.  (we haven't sighted it in yet as she's partial to using her EOTech, but my pencil marks lined up beautifully!)

I would recommend either having a very qualified 'smith or the factory you bought the rifle from put the fsb on...or just buy a barrel that already has it installed.  It's just too easy to screw this up and you'll be out the cost of the fsb AND a new barrel if the project goes south on you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not have Kurt's Kustom weld / solder one on your existing FSB?  He's running a special for $35/ea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why not have Kurt's Kustom weld / solder one on your existing FSB?  He's running a special for $35/ea.

I wonder how strong this would be. I'd hate to have it snap off whilst bayonetting a bunch of brain eating zombies (After all ammo was exhausted, of course).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Oylmpic Arms told me they would install the FSB on an exiting barrel for $35.  And they sell the FSB with the lug as well.

If your barrel is .75" below the gas port, then there are FSB that uses set screws just like the gas blocks.

I am getting one to install myself on this old .625" lite barrel I pick up cheap.  From the forum, it sounds like an experience that I will not forget.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Sending you a spare in the mail in the a.m.  Will provide tracking/confirmation numbers via IM or email.  May need some touch-up around pin holes where previous owner failed to use the Brownell's cup punches to remove the taper pins, but hey, it's free.

Glad to help out!

uxb
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top