Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:28:58 PM EDT
Howdy. I am an artist. Therefore poor as dirt.  No reflection on the quality of my work, I'm just the Worlds Worst Capitalist.
My dilemma:  Prior to my daughter's college days and a further slide into hillbilly white trashism I would like to add a few mechanical devices to my limited arsenal. Also, I fear that no matter who wins the forthcoming election some sort of renewal in an even harsher form of the AWB will appear.  
I am making a stalwart attempt to come up with a manner in which to own another AR, a FAL and an AK of some ilk.  
I have come to the conclusion that, in as far as the AR is concerned, a build is the cheapest way to go.  Perhaps not, but at least I can stretch the cost out a bit.
I have perused the files and learned much but there is such a tremendous volume of parts, kits and vendors I am left reeling.  
My series of questions, if yall would be so kind as to assist, are as follows:

1. Which kit/parts are the best?  
2. How can I find a vendor, preferably a member, who is reputable and honorable to deal with?
   Any suggestions as to which folks here are good to deal with?
3. Having never done a build of any sort on weaponry are there any Oreong folks that are
  knowledgeable and would be willing to give a goober a hand?  I could trade some art if that
  is amenable....
4. And, on the assumption that, "nothing ventured, nothing gained" is there anyone out there that
  might just give pause to think about trading art for any of the three firearms I mentioned??
 I am a veteran of the Non Government Funded Art in the Bars Program and am very good indeed.
 I have a BFA from the Pacific NW College of Art (with a year spent at the Atlanta College of Art
 at the High Museum) and do figurative work.  Of late my work has centered on working class South
 Alabama in the late 40's early 50's in honor of my father who slipped off this mortal coil in August.
 I also do historical paintings. Mainly centered on the westward expansion movement (cowboys) and
 The Late Misunderstanding (War Between the States) and am considering WWII, the Big One.
 I have been known to stick my friends in some of these historical paintings.  I do woodcuts, pen
 and ink and some seriousl cartooning having cut my teeth on the underground cartoonists of the '70s.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts kits are pretty much equal. ADCO has a good deal on the RRA parts kit for $55. As for the vendor, just buy the lower first and get the rest online. That's what a vast majority of the members, myself included, have done. It's cheaper and you get to learn what makes your gun go bang. My best advice would be to spend a few hours reading all the how-to guides on this board or going out and buying a book called the AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  RRA.  Rock River Arms?  Is that something that should be procured directly from the company or are there folks on this board that can make some money were I to purchase it from them.
I'd much rather my hard earned pennies go to someone here than not.
Thanks again.  I'll check out Rock River and peruse their wares.  The only AR I currently own is an old colt pre ban. Or would that be a post pre ban?  Hmmm.  
I have been reading through the posts here and have gleaned a great deal of info.  I am a little reticent to attempt this without someone more knowledgeable than I to thump my pumpkin if seen doing something stoopid.  Hence the request for Oregonians that are experienced.  
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I too wanted to build my own, and I did build the lower ,and installed a collapsible stock, but when it came to the upper, i could not find any combination of new parts that could compete with the price of a complete upper by RRA from ADCO.
At 375.00 for the upper I wanted ,and 4 dollar shipping, I couldn't justify spending more money for the same parts. On top of that I wanted some machine shop work and ADCO is highly recommended for that work, so after a few months of searching, i finally relented and ordered the modified upper I wanted for just under 500.00.  The only problem with RRA right now is the huge demand that has caused a backorder situation for most popular parts,so you may have to wait for them to catch up
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you folks for the input.  I have already sucked up a goodly amount of useful/helpful info.
Please do keep em coming.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top