Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 11:05:41 AM EDT
What kind of paint could I use on my rifle that won't disolve every time I use Gunscrubber or other cleaners on it? I just bought a couple of reciever castings and I don't feel like anodizing them. If  there is no such paint then I will just polish them. I've seen guys paint there guns camo, does that meen they can't use cleaner on them now?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
any finish that are "baked" on, such as gunkoat, duracoat, norrells moly, epoxy based finish will be solvent resistant and non reactive to chemicals after it's been baked.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Brownell's and check out the GunKote, and Aluma HydeII.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#3]
www.glocksunlocked.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10200

Here is a thread regarding refinishing, and info about Norrells.  It is easy to do, pretty cheap, and holds up well.

PM or email me if I can by of any help.  Here is a pic of a lower receiver that had looked very beat.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
if you paint ur metal..theres no need to use a cleaning product on the paint other than maybe a baby wipe or sumthing..why would you put oil on paint? im gonna spray paint my new AR and plan on only using solvents & oil on the inside.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Rooster, it is hard to clean an AR15 without ever getting ANY solvent or CLP on it every time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
yea but thats the beauty of spray paint alittle goes along ways...and you can buy it almost anywhere.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to use break cleaner or gunscrubber to clean out the workings then reoil everything. That break cleaner takes paint off like crazy! I'm not sure if I want to make it black or polish it. I never see anyone polish thier recievers though. You think that would look cool?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
No, I think it would look like crap.  However, it is not my rifle, you are free to be mocked by us whenever you post a pic....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top