Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 11:04:33 PM EDT
I was considering finishing my next upper with a low profile gas block, but I will need to remove the old front sight/gas block. If I understand correctly I will need to get a striaght gas tube, is this right?

How difficult would it be to swap out gas blocks? Are thier any alignment issues that I should be aware of?

For example purposes: say I was to remove the FSB from my Bushy barrel. Would I have any difficulty installing a PRI low profile gasblock?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it pinned on or set screwed? You can't just swap out pinned on FSBs. The holes have to be redrilled to fit the new FSB. Check the FAQ in Troubleshooting for lots of details.

Damn....... that is not the answer I wanted to hear,

Yes it's pinned, I wasn't aware that they came in any other way.

I'll check out FAQ in Trouble Shooting,

Thanks

I read partially through the source you suggested and well umm......  I am to chicken for all that.

Removing and reinstalling the factory FSB sounds like a breeze though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
So know anyone who can do that?  I mean put a new FSB on a older post-nuked barrel?  It's a govt profile 20" bushmaster barrel.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So know anyone who can do that?  I mean put a new FSB on a older post-nuked barrel?  It's a govt profile 20" bushmaster barrel.

I'm working on building a jig to do it, but it keeps falling down my priority list.  The jig will be adjustable so that you can square the FSB to the barrel index pin and clamp both in place for drilling/reaming.  I have a rough sketch on a block of wood for reference.  I need to get that to the machine shop and start machining a working prototype.  Maybe someday, I'll get it done.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I see a very bright future instore for you mongo001.  Seems this could be a decent money maker for someone who has the ability to do it.  Anyway, not that I need a bayo lug on my rifle, but since the ban did die, I feel the need to "kick it in the side" a little.     I would hate for the answer to be change out a $200 barrel for a $25 part. . .

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll try to bump it back up the list, but this directly conflicts with other lists I must abide by, which includes the OT list at work (three extra 8hr shifts last week, this week looking the same) and, of course, the Honey-Do list (on my one day off last week, Sunday, I ended up hauling, dumping and spreading sixteen bags of red lava rock and washing all the second story windows on the outside).  I'd love to get it done, just so I can take care of myself, but if/when it is done and I master the technique, I may offer my services to those willing to trust me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as I know, just use a regular gas tube.  I have never seen a "straight" gas tube.  In fact, the tube is closer to the bore at the front sight base than at the receiver.

Why not use the Armalite CLAMP ON gas block???  Page 32 of the downloadable pdf catalog from www.armalite.com

No holes to drill, pins, etc.  And if not perfectly aligned, you loosed the screws, tap it lightly, and retighten.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I cannot see going though all that trouble if all you are acheiving is a bayo lug.....  but this guy is just wanting to install a clamp on gas block..... if I understand correctly.....

You just knock out the pins, slide FSB off, slide gas block on, index, clamp, and insert gas tube, no?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Personally, I cannot see going though all that trouble if all you are acheiving is a bayo lug.....  but this guy is just wanting to install a clamp on gas block..... if I understand correctly.....

You just knock out the pins, slide FSB off, slide gas block on, index, clamp, and insert gas tube, no?

I'm with you all the way.  My reasons are for myself, wanting to install the GG&G FSB and hopefully the elusive KAC FSB, both having a bayonet lug and both installed with taper pins.  If I can get a working jig and help a few members out with their quest for a bayonet lug, so be it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Removing and reinstalling the factory FSB sounds like a breeze though.

Famous last words.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If I am this guy, then I just go ahead and tell you guys what I was thinking and maybe you can give me a little imput.

I built one M4gery, and I still want another one. Only this time I was thinking of getting a extended mid-length TROY MRF-MX, Here is a pic of what I was basically trying to achieve

I am not even sure what type gas block I would need to get this configuration.

Thanks for the info so far!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh hell, thats easy.... since the float tube covers the gas block completely... you just need a shaved/low profile gas block... like this one:

www.eaglefirearms.net/yankee_hill.htm

Cake.  This one installs with set screws.

Or see this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=203400 for shaving the gas block you have.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I guess its worth a try. It doesnt look like thier is much to screw up. Would you suggest the Cold Blue finish? Or something else?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Troy MRF in the mail to me right now and I have one of those YHM low profile gas blocks.  I will let you know if it will fit inside the Troy rail system.  My initial reaction is - NO - but it might.  The KAC, PRI and SPR low profile gas blocks will definitely do the job in this application.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool, keep me updated!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top