Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2004 11:39:15 AM EDT
Still researching the first build.  Upper will be Model1 A3.  Need ideas for rear sight.  Don't have the bucks for an optic, so will use irons for some time.  Want good accuracy for up to 300m.  Also have to keep price lower than a model1 carry handle as that is my final back up.   I'd like to hear from folks about the various types of rear sights, BUIS, and which brand and model they prefer.  Anyone with cut down carry handle info is also asked for their input.  Just need to know what I should shop around for and what they will do.  I also know that some are adjustable for elevation and some are not--which is which?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
chopped carry handle how -to. It works great.Chopped carry handle
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
So, since I got only one reply, thank you very much trgrpullr for the input and the link.  I copied and pasted it into a word file so I will have it on my hard drive.  I realize that JAW stated the carry handle and upper should be from the same mfg.  How solid is this?  I would like to buya model1 CAR 16 kit but not buy the carry handle and instead use the EE to find an already cut down handle or one I can do myself and save 30 or so bucks.   Thanks, and if you have more advice, please share.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the LMT BUIS? Kinda pricey though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have thought about that, but I'm just trying to keep the price low, so Mrs. TG won't balk.  Best price I've seen is $89 shipped, but that's pretty much what the carry handle costs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Still researching the first build.  Upper will be Model1 A3.  Need ideas for rear sight.  Don't have the bucks for an optic, so will use irons for some time.  Want good accuracy for up to 300m.  Also have to keep price lower than a model1 carry handle as that is my final back up.   I'd like to hear from folks about the various types of rear sights, BUIS, and which brand and model they prefer.  Anyone with cut down carry handle info is also asked for their input.  Just need to know what I should shop around for and what they will do.  I also know that some are adjustable for elevation and some are not--which is which?  Thanks

Im in the process of finding out which irons work best for my vision-----hows yours?.
You may try www.brownells.com or www.bushmaster.com
I installed a Bushmaster National match system (with a .040 apeature)some time ago on my A2,works great,but my vision isnt what it used to be,so needless to say,the .040 rear sight is a bit small,but I think I worked my way around it.
I replaced the frt sight with a hooded frt sight with cross hairs from KNS Precision,just a bit hard to see,so what I decided to do was to but a pin drop of floresant orange paint at the center of the cross hairs on the KNS hooded frt sight ---------------------------man what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Check with Tapco, they sell cheap chicom version of the handle.  

I bought one, chopped the front off, mate it with a CDNN 30mm dot sight and a riser... All together under $80. (parts on sale)

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the CDNN site with riser and irons co-witness, or is there some sort of offset--high or low?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Tasco 30mm PP2 from CDNN.  The raiser is a copy of the ARMS mount.  The chopped handle is from Tapco.

Yes, the sights do co-witness as far as I can tell.  The dot maybe very slightly higher, right on top of the iron post.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top