Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 12:43:43 PM EDT
I have read the a flash suppressor has to be indexed. What exactly does that mean? Are there marks on the barrel and FS that need to be lined up?
thanksfor all y'alls help.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
An A2 flash hider has a closed bottom, so that you can shoot prone without raising a ton of dust due to the blast from your muzzle, the closed bottom of the FH reduces that.  Therefore, when installing one, you have to have it tight so that the closed area faces down.  

This is accomplished with a peel washer, which is a thick washer made of many thin washers that you peel enough off of so it is just thick enough to have the FH tight in just the right spot.  IMO, a giant pain in the A--.  

Then some lazy person invented the crush washer.  This washer gives some when you tighten the FH and allow you to tighten the FH to just the right spot.  This is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed one of the A2s with a crush washer and it was a piece of cake. Definitely take that route.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry I didn't specify which FS i would be using. I will be adding a Phantom FS.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC phantoms do not need to be indexed, as they do not have a closed bottom?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC phantoms do not need to be indexed, as they do not have a closed bottom?

Some do... you can usually pick which one you want when you order one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top