Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 8:25:03 AM EDT
After lurking a bit and posting a few times, I've been modifying the Bushy I bought new with parts & tools off the EE.  Last night I finished my first full build- started with a stripped lower and upper and went to work.  Result: Grizzly lower, no-name A3 upper, Bushy (?) 20" barrel with four-rail gas block and no brake (local smith will thread for Phantom), topped with an Elcan or an Aetec 2.5-8 (both in QD mounts).  Shoots 55gr Ballistic Tips over W748 into sub-1" at 100 yards and is about to be camoed for the winer coyote calling season.

Started with one, now I'm up to three, and building a pistol next.   don't know whether to thank you guys or cuss you out!

"Hi, my name is Mike and I am addicted to AR15s."  

1911fan
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After lurking a bit and posting a few times, I've been modifying the Bushy I bought new with parts & tools off the EE.  Last night I finished my first full build- started with a stripped lower and upper and went to work.  Result: Grizzly lower, no-name A3 upper, Bushy (?) 20" barrel with four-rail gas block and no brake (local smith will thread for Phantom), topped with an Elcan or an Aetec 2.5-8 (both in QD mounts).  Shoots 55gr Ballistic Tips over W748 into sub-1" at 100 yards and is about to be camoed for the winer coyote calling season.

Started with one, now I'm up to three, and building a pistol next.   don't know whether to thank you guys or cuss you out!

"Hi, my name is Mike and I am addicted to AR15s."  

1911fan

Hi Mike.  Welcome to AA (AR's Anonmouse).  I'm sorry to say that there is no cure for the addiction to AR equipment, but mearly giving doses of "new" equipment/accessories helps satisfy the crave.

No on can stop at just one...... (I can't recall which candy commercial had that as a slogan).
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
 Your first build is not complete until we see pics!
And a range report!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Pics:  The choice on limited funds is either AR parts or new digital camera.  Guess which won?
Range report- and it's a good one!  I had the Dillon 550 set up for some bulk 50gr PSP that wasn't shooting well, and I've always had good luck with Ballistic Tips.  Looked in the manual, and load range for W748 (already in the hopper) for 55gr bullets is 24-26 grains.  Set up for the 50's at 26.5 grains, so I cranked it down a few turns and wound up at 25.1 grains.  Close enough, I just wanna go shooting!  So I made a bunch of mixed brass, Federal 205 primer, 55gr Ballistic Tip loads and headed for the range.  Groups were consitently sub-1" off a Sinclair rest, on a calm day, at 100 yards.  Hell, I've got bolt guns that don't shoot that well!  So I rushed home and loaded up the rest of the Noslers and all the W748.... guess I'm set for coyote season!
Flame away if you wanna- I can hardly believe it either.  I'm used to load development taking a while, weighing each load, seperating brass, hand-seating primers etc for my 6mm Remington long-range rig, and to have a semi shoot this well on the first try still floors me.

1911fan

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top