Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2004 6:51:59 AM EDT
Like everyone else, I was tickled to see the meet it's end. (even if it was ten years late).  Anyhow, I decided to put together a rifle I have always wanted.  

I got a chance to fire a class III model of this rifle several years ago, and I have lusted after one since.  Here is the deal.  I bought a DPMS upper from Kiesler's Wholesale, it is a 10.5" bbl w/ a 5.5" flash hider.  It has A1 rear sights, and forward assist.  It came with charging handle and bolt assembly.

I then ran up on CMMG as a result of a visit to this site, and ordered a DPMS lower receiver with a 6 position collapsible stock.  That decision was a hard one for me, because I really like the looks of the ACE entry length stock, however, in the end, I felt like it  just wouldn't go with the overall concept of the rifle I have carried around on my "want" list for years.  

I also ordered a side mount sling assembly from RRA, and one of their star selector levers.  Finally, I hopped over to Brownell's and ordered an Ashley rear sight aperature that has the ghost ring and the smaller aperature on the same plane.  I have already installed the Ashley, and am pleased with it.  Now it is a matter of waiting for my lower and putting things together.

I am impressed with the rifles I currently see on the site, and although I would like to later build someting a little more tricked out, this rifle is more spartan in concept.  I don't want optics, or lights, and more than likely I will do little else to the rifle other than maybe putting on a different pistol grip if I take a notion.

I know that some of the folks here have experience with this type set up and I wonder what kind of Pros-Cons that you have encountered?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the one that I'm thinking about puting together, right down to the upper from Kiesler's. I originaly planned on a lightweight barrel but I'm having a hard time finding a chrome lined one with an A1 upper receiver. Also leaning toward the DPMS lower. I figure that they will match the best. I was thinking about an entry length stock but have deceided that a collapsible would be best as I could adjust it for myself or shorter for my son. How's the finish on your upper? Hope you get your lower soon. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I am pleased with the upper.  The finish is good and the only thing that takes some getting used to is the hard chrome plated bolt carrier.  I still don't have my lower.  I called CMMG last week and was told that there was a back order.  I was told they were in stock when I placed my order two weeks ago.  I realize that sales must be brisk, but I wouldn't have placed the order if I knew I was going to wait this long.  At this point, I am ready to cancel my order, sell my upper and just order a complete rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top