Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:01:36 PM EDT
Just wondered if anyone has bought and used one of the Duracoat kits from Lauer Custom Weaponry? Do you need to have some major airbrushing skills to get this accomplished, cause I don't? Of course they will explain it as easy, but is it really. Pics and opinions would be welcome. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i havent tried it but im gonna buy one of thier stecils and try it with spray paint.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
www.glocksunlocked.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10200

The above link is to Norrells Moly Resin, but you should find that most of it applies.  Norrells is available cheaper the Duracoat, and is easier to use.  The downsize is that it is available in less colors if you are looking to do a camo theme.

Let me know if I can help at all with any questions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I started using Duracoat about a year ago and it is very easy to apply. The first time I had ever used an airbrush was spraying it on and every thing came out great. I have yet to get a run or have a bad finish job. I use a Badger 350 airbrush.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I started using Duracoat about a year ago and it is very easy to apply. The first time I had ever used an airbrush was spraying it on and every thing came out great. I have yet to get a run or have a bad finish job. I use a Badger 350 airbrush.

Mike

Do you have any pics ???
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably my biggest hold up right now is that I don't  have a shop where I live (gotta buy a house!!). SO I don't have a blast cabinet, etc...SO to really get in there and do this, I will have to get all of this stuff. Then again I have seen some paint jobs using krylon camo paint that really aren't that bad. If I go that route, I will use my old Mossberg as a guinea pig the first timehas
I was looking at the Duracoat catalog and thinking about the AmStripe, but using Urban colors. I think Black, gray and white in that pattern would look awesome. I don't know why, but I love the Urban color scheme, now how effective it is??? Something about the Wilderness Flage just doesn't seem right. I think the green is to bright, a darker green may fix that? Oh well I am a rambling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Makkoo1974, sorry for the delay on the photos. I sprayed a barrel tonight so here are a couple of photos of it.

Mike

My photo hosting website said they found the photos of my painted barrel offensive. So they have been deleted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the pics, Mike!!! you are the man!!!
Great job you did on that barrel by the way!!!
I think it's time for me to buy get one of those Duracoat kits!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear Krylon sucks. Don't use it. You're better off with gun-kote or the like.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a link to the post I did on an L1A1 I did using the dura coat.
It is fairly easy to use, I did mess up a little but it's really hard to tell.
I talked to mike at Lauer's and aske dwhat I had done wrong and basically I mis read the mixing directions for the hardner, put a little too much in.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7&t=176921
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Krylon worked great for me. I top coated it with alumahyde2 matte clear. This is a rifle I set up for my 16 year old son.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/123597.jpg
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats a sweet paintjob. I've never seen an SKS look so good!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top