Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 11:07:43 AM EDT
ok, I'm a very very very poor college student.  I've been putting together an AR M4gery for the last 5 years.  I've got a bushy lower, with a fixed post-ban stock(I'm in the process of converting, because I'm so damn poor) I've got my bolt and a flat top upper with no barrel.  I have some questions.  I need to get a barrel, optics, flash suppressor, and a 4-rail handguird of some kind but I can't spend alot of money.  What whould I get that wouldn't make me have to drop out of school?  I don't need anything super uber high quality(i'm not going into combat or nothing)  I'm just going to be plinking out in my field or at a range.  I don't want something that will fall apart on me, but I still can't spend too much.  Any information would be apreciatd very much.  Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch the EE, and do it frequently. I sold a (ban-era) M4gery barrel with handguards on there for $90 about a month ago. Such deals crop up, and just as quickly get snapped up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're poor, don't worry about optics or a railed forend. Learn to shoot with irons first, it will help you out in the long run. If you want a free floating handguard, just get a regular aluminum tube. Railed forends are just the latest fad and unless you need a light, slight attachment point, two sets of optics (NVG and a red dot/Holo), and a vertical foregrip, then railed forends are a waste of money.
Check out Model 1 Sales and ADCO for all the remaining parts. ADCO was selling a RRA lower parts kit for around $55 and you can pick up a decent barrel from Model 1. And believe me, if you put it together right, it won't fall apart on you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
well, I already have the lower assembled, I also have the upper(without barrel) and the bolt group.  I would like a fore grip, and what I've contemplated is geting an inexpensive foregrip and a small piece of rail and bolting it on, and then for when I add a light, I'll put one of those doubl-rails that bolts onto  the front sight block.  I can shoot pretty good with irons, but due to vision problems I prefer an optic of some kind.  I have an old Tasco red-dot I picked up years ago.  It's held up to alot of abuse over the years I sorta pass it around on some of my other rifles I want to get something and dedicate it to this build.  I have been considering a tacpoint(please don't flame me) it would look decent enough, it would work well enough and I would eventually get an aimpoint anyways, and the tacpoint seems like it would get me somewhat used to its "feel" and the price is definately tempting.  As for a barrel, I would like something with an M4 profile(with the step down) and probably and A2 flash hinder.  I've seen several of these typs of barrels on auctions for around 150-170 dollars.  Any info on a particular brand I should get would be apreciated.  Like I said, I've been working on this build for about 5 years, and I can't really spend more than about 150-180 dollars on a part in one sitting.  So I'd need to buy parts and get them in 150 to 180 dollar increments.  Thanks in advance you guys.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I built my whole AR for approx. $350.  It can be done.

16" flattop upper (with Colt internals)
Eagle Arms/Armalite lower (with Colt internals, Bushy stock)
Tasco red dot (for now)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a bushy lower and upper, and when I'm done getting the barrel, I figure I'll have spent around 700.  I figure thats not bad for a bushy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's you a cheap(but strong) foregrip, got one on an AK.
Here
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
w00t!  My gf ordered me an Aimpoint CompM2 for my birthday!! :D:D:D That takes care of my optics :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get the railed front end.  Use the front of the magwell like half the military guys still use.  It will save you money, and you won't notice it isn't there.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]
update:  the dealer she's buying it from has a mount sitting in his shop that was ordered by accident, so he said he'd throw it in for 20 bucks.  I don't know what mount it is, but I hope it's nice.  I can always get a good one later.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#10]
pics man, pics.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top