Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 7:00:54 AM EDT
So I asked a local FFL (they deal ONLY in tactical stuff) how much it would be if they ordered a lower receiver for me. The guy came back with a figure close to $200 (thats stripped)! I then went to another FFL who is of the hunting variety and they straight up will not order something like that but they will do transfers on rifles. I'm thinking of ordering a lower from someone and paying the hunting FFL for the transfer (is it even a transfer if it's coming from a distributor?). That way its just as if they are transferring a rifle to me. I think the tactical place will get all pissy and not do the transfer for me if I go it alone and order the lower myself. What do you guys do? And no, I don't wanna drive out real far to look for a different FFL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you look on the equipment exchange page for those selling stripped receivers they will have a list of FFLs who will do transfers at reasonable rates. Try and find one near you.  Also you might want to look on gungbroker and auction arms auction sites. They also have a list of transfer dealers. Shop around until you find one. Screw those other dealers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
As recommended, search around.  My local FFL/gunshop wants $35 per item for transfer.  A post in the hometown forum turned up a guy close to me that does them for $15 per item.  I purchased 6 lowers recently and he saved me $120.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Never have an FFL order something for you....

Allways order it and have them do the transfer....

And refuse to do business with anyone who charges a percent-fee for transfers....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a DUMB ASS here in the DFW area Pioneer Gun Sales. This ASS told me $50 for transfers. Theirs alot of work. Their not fun to do. We realy dont like to do them.  

What a laugh. What a prick. A lot of work my ass. We realy dont like to do them. Well then I think he is in the wrong line of WORK!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So I asked a local FFL (they deal ONLY in tactical stuff) how much it would be if they ordered a lower receiver for me. The guy came back with a figure close to $200 (thats stripped)! I then went to another FFL who is of the hunting variety and they straight up will not order something like that but they will do transfers on rifles. I'm thinking of ordering a lower from someone and paying the hunting FFL for the transfer (is it even a transfer if it's coming from a distributor?). That way its just as if they are transferring a rifle to me. I think the tactical place will get all pissy and not do the transfer for me if I go it alone and order the lower myself. What do you guys do? And no, I don't wanna drive out real far to look for a different FFL.

Hey Docbrooks,

Check out the hometown forum as there are alot of recommendations for dealers etc.

jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=31

I have posted two different guys i go through when ordering stripped lowers. You can IM or email me, might be in the same area.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Find a different FFL:

www.shotgunnews.com/fflguide/

My guy does transfers for $15.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I beg to differ about having an FFL buy a part for you. Certain companies and distributors offer special pricing to FFL holders. If you know your FFL won't rip you off, then have him order the part for you. It might save you $20 or $30.
Remember, a good FFL is like a good car mechanic. They're few and far between and once you find one, tell all your buddies about him to make sure he stays in business.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Never have an FFL order something for you....

Allways order it and have them do the transfer....

And refuse to do business with anyone who charges a percent-fee for transfers....

Not always a bad thing, percent-fees.  I got a MEGA lower, and at $90, $9 is hard to beat
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Theirs alot of work. Their not fun to do. We realy dont like to do them.  
head.gif

Does he make the FFL certificates with one of those old-school printing presses?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a really good FFL dealer I do business with, but he just recently told me that he can no longer give me his FFL info to send out. He said that if I want to order something he has to place the order himself and transfer it that way.... Is there some new Florida law that just did that?

I'm not really complaining. He doesn't charge me for transfers. Just has me pay state sales tax on whatever I've bought...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]

I have a really good FFL dealer I do business with, but he just recently told me that he can no longer give me his FFL info to send out. He said that if I want to order something he has to place the order himself and transfer it that way.... Is there some new Florida law that just did that?

I'm not really complaining. He doesn't charge me for transfers.  Just has me pay state sales tax on whatever I've bought...

No.  I got my MEGA just these past few days, and the dude here (Tallahassee) gave it to me, no problem.

Unless it went into effect in the intervening week and a half.  hinking.gif

Man you're getting fux0red.  He makes you pay sales tax?  Don't get me wrong, but a rifle in the 700-800 dollar range can have FL sales tax of $52.50-$60.  Try another FFL, see what they say.  Sounds like shady business practices to me
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmm, you could be right.. I've only bought receivers from him so far so it's never been over $12 for the "tax."

I'll have to check out the pawn shop close-by if I ever need anything more expensive. He charges $15 for transfers. I just hate going to that guy since he's so expensive with all the guns he keeps in stock.. Like $300 for a $60 Mosin Nagant.. I don't like supporting people like him...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#13]
one of my FFLs told me that its about two days of paperwork, and if they didn't charge anything worth while, they'd not make a profit from the transaction at all.  I know if I had to do a bunch of paperwork and make a bunch of phone calls, I wasn't getting anything for it, I wouldn't like to do it either.  I can see why they charge 20 or 30 bucks, and if people want them to do it *all* the time, I can see why someone would charge 50.  Thats why if at all possible, I have my dealer order stuff for me, we negociate a good price that I'm willing to go with, I get something brand new and not used, and he dosn't have to do the extra paperwor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting 10 stripped receivers today.  My FFL is just waiting for the brown truck.  I used to pay $25.00 on each receiver for the transfer fee but since I'm getting 10 this time, my FFL just charged me $15.00 each.  

I asked two other FFL's for a discount on 10 receievers but the lowest I got was $20.00 on each so the $15.00 each gets my business.  

556man
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
2 days worth of paperwork my butt. All he has to do is enter the A&D info in his log book, you and him fill out the 4473 (yellow form), and he makes the call. Takes 1/2 hour at the most. It's all profit for him since he has no stock to keep.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
DAMN!

I'm lucky, $12 a couple papers and a phone call. 10 minutes max.

Danny
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top