Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:45:10 PM EDT

Anyone have any experiences (or opinions) about carbon fiber barrels for the AR-15 ?

My plan is to build a super lightweight rifle in a heavier caliber than the 5.56
Why ? (Why not has
Ideally, I would like to get under the weight of the lightest Carbon-15 (3.9 piounds) ... the carbon fiber barrel seems to be a necessary step to achieving this goal.

ABS is the only company I have found so far who does AR-15 carbon fiber barrels :
http://home.alltel.net/mdegerness/index.htmu

If anyone knows of any others, please enlighten me  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A lightweight barrel wrapped in carbon fiber will be heavier than the same barrel unwrapped.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A lightweight barrel wrapped in carbon fiber will be heavier than the same barrel unwrapped.

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ummm ... excuse me but ... Duh h.gif

The point of a carbon fiber barrel is to create a thin 'shell' steel barrel and
wrap it in carbon fiber to increase the strength to an acceptable level.
The point is NOT to take a perfectly useable lightweight barrel and
wrap carbon fiber around it. The 'shell' wrapped carbon fiber barrel
will undoubtedly be lighter in weight than a 'normal' steel barrel of
any type.

Nothing personal, but neither of these responses are particularly helpful.

Zeme
Alaska
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure it can be done? I've heard of it in the 22lr world, but not in anything 'high power.'
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I recall seeing bolt guns w/ carbon barrels, but never in a semi auto.....

The idea is interesting, and I've given it some thoughts too.  I wasn't even sure who to contact about it.....(never knew someone did AR barrels).

Advanced Barrel Systems, INC  <----- your link.

Ya know.... (), now that you mentioned this site..... maybe a way to lighten up a 10" AR pistol is to carbon the barrel....mmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I recall seeing bolt guns w/ carbon barrels, but never in a semi auto.....

The idea is interesting, and I've given it some thoughts too.  I wasn't even sure who to contact about it.....(never knew someone did AR barrels).

Advanced Barrel Systems, INC  <----- your link.

Ya know.... (), now that you mentioned this site..... maybe a way to lighten up a 10" AR pistol is to carbon the barrel....mmmmmm

From the website:
We start with top quality lightweight barrels and enhance their performance with carbon. Our barrels can be safely fired without the carbon applied.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]

I was looking for a lightweight FireBall .300 barrel for an AR. Here is
the reply I received to an email I sent to ABS ...

--------------------------------
"We do offer a composite barrel for the .300 Fireball 8 twist and 16.1"
length. The price is based at $600 each, however, there is a break at
quantities of 10. We do not work with barrels other than the cut rifled Rock Creek for
any 30 caliber gas gun application. Based on a standard AR or M4 barrel using the .75" gas block diameters, you will save a full pound.

Regards,
Mike Degerness, President
Advanced Barrel Systems, Inc."
--------------------------------

I'll have to think about getting one of these. I'd definitely like to buy one
but it would be stretching my budget ... hinking.gif

Zeme
Alaska

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]

I forgot ...

Based on my calculations, using Vulcan carbon fiber upper & lower (or Bushmaster C15) and carbon fiber stock along with a carbon fiber stock and an ABS barrel, it seems like a .300 Fireball would weigh quite a bit less than 4 pounds ... maybe closer to 3 pounds ??? hock.gif

I wonder if you could go under 3 pounds for a 5.56 ? Hmmmmmm ... here
Zeme
Alaska
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
They use carbon barrels all the way up to the fast .30 caliber magnums.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top