Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:36:12 PM EDT
In my venture to become a Gunsmith, I wanted to know if any of you knew where I could get the machinery to build an AR-15 or any rifle/pistol from scratch... Any info would be appreciated. I'm in the process of getting all proper permits,licenses, etc. and I wanted to get a heads up on equip. and how much I'm looking on spending. Thanks.

SW1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you a competent machinst?  Even starting with a "0%" lower (solid chunk of 7075 aluminum that needs magwell and firecontrol cut out, etc, etc, etc) it takes a lot of time to end up with a functional lower reciever.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, and if you're talking about doing the type of work I'm thinking you're wanting to do, you'll need a mill, and a lathe would probably be nice as well, and those can run anywhere from 'really good deal on ebay' to several 10s of thousands of dollars for brand-spankin-new-top-of-the-line stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Not as of yet... I just wanted to get an idea how much it would cost to acquire the equip.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot. Spend 130 and get a 80% instead.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
SilentWarrior1....I welcome another option for buying a lower, perhaps from you.  But I'd hate to see you potentially lose your ass with equipment and overhead on a weapon that is really easily available already to the masses.  And it would be damn hard to justify your prices due to overhead against other proven companies.  IT CAN WORK......but I don't wanna lose that much sleep at night!  Hats off to you bro' good luck as well
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
First, define what you mean "from scratch."  Do you want to manufacture barrels, recievers, plastic components, etc?

To manufacture every component in an AR, I can't imagine you'd be able to start up with less than $250K worth of equipment, and even that is probably on the low side.  Heck, your CNC software package would probably run $5K or more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
hmmm... maybe buying blank parts and stamping them would be cheaperhinking.gif... thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hmmm... maybe buying blank parts and stamping them would be cheaperhinking.gif... thanks for the heads up.

There really aren't any stamped parts on an AR-maybe the door on the upper?

Try looking for Roderus custom on the web. That guy does lots of 80% and 0% projects, and that should give you an idea what's involved in making a gun from 'near-scratch.'

Larry
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's go at this another way:
How much do you think you can spend on setting yourself up?

CNC machines are really expensive, as in 10's of thousands on the low end I believe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Sure it could be done. But you'll spend a lot of money and learn a lot along the way. At the very least you'll need a good size mill and lathe, a barrel making machine, an injection molding machine for the furniture, a furnace to smelt your own ore, hmmm, a decent lab area to refine and create the plastics, ummm, will you be mining the ore as well?

All kidding aside you'd need a good mill and lathe and a lot time.

Check out www.homegunsmith.com/ for a lot of good home gunsmithing info.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top