Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 4:44:29 PM EDT
I put my collapsible stock on the other.  I have not test fired the rifle since.  I pick it up tonight and I here a rattle, a spring sliding around inside or something.  I struggle to get it apart, and the buffer detent was on the loose.

When I installed the buffer tube I stopped just shy of the buffer detent hole.  So my question is, on a properly built rifle, can the buffer detent be removed, or should I have gone a half a thread further with the tube so the detent was captured.  I know the tip or post of the detent cannot be covered, but should I have covered the shoulder of the detent so it could not come out ??

Please advise, my first part swap obviously.

Otherwise, I guess I did not have one of the larger radius sectors over the detent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, nice post above.  The pics are better then in the book I bought, I would have gotten it right if I had read that.  I hope the small amount of blue Loctite comes apart easy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Not knowing what you're referring to above, the buffer tube should be screwed in to the post of the detent, securing it.  I've never put loctite on the buffer tube and never heard of anyone doing it.  Just buy a Car stock wrench and tighten it down.  It'll be fine.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top