Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 3:50:01 PM EDT
Hello all,

I built a lower up today on a PWA from RB Precision.  It is a very nicely finished receiver with everything fitting in perfectly....except the safety detent.  Turns out, the hole for the detent was pilot drilled all the way thru, but finish drilled only 1/2 way thru.  I had to drill it out and then everything went fine.  It is a hell of a nice receiver, and I'm sure this was just missed.
I do wish that Eagle Arms would make some more lowers...they were the best damned lower I've ever built on!  Solid, beautiful finish, easy assembly...what's not to love!!

By the way, I've always used Fulton Armory Lower Parts kits....they are flawless!  I've never had the slightest issue with them and the service is great!  For a few bucks more than the other guys, they are well worth it since there are no headaches!

All my best, and good shooting folks!

Regards,
Rob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The detent hole for the Safety Selector does not go full diameter all the way though.  The Detent is retained in the hole by that reduction in diameter.  The detent is inserted from the bottom, and held in place by the spring and grip.

It was properly drilled already.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, my detent didn't even enter the hole, I drilled it out enough to be as you described and all worked well.  i guess I should have mentioned that...sorry about the confusion.

All my best,
Rob
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
A-Free-Man is correct.......the hole is in fact stepped.  I have more than a half dozen PWA lowers spanning about 10 years of production and they are all the same.  They have historically made a great product.  I believe that your detent may be out of spec which caused you to have to drill out the stepped area.  If you now insert a "correct" detent, the safety indexed positions may be incorrect or may "float".  If your current detent fits snugly,  you may have to keep it with that rifle forever to ensure correct safety indexing.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Just curious......PWA went out of business back in about 1995.  I'm surprised that anyone still has any of their receivers.  Does yours have markings like this?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Russ4777, I'm just curious, what year vintage is that PWA?  The reason I ask is that I seem to have a PWA that no one else has ever seen.  The logo looks like the one in your pic, but the "Milan, IL" is stamped behind the bolt catch, just above the hammer pin.  Everything else looks the same (although it dosen't have the A2 reinforcements at the base of the buffer tube area)  Also, does your S/N have 5 or 6 digits?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock River Arms started out using PWA on their recievers.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello all,

I checked my detent pin dims against the ones in my Eagle Arms lower and it was the same.  When I compared the depth of the first step to the print on this site, it was not deep enough which is why the detent didn't protrude into the safety axle opening.  I suspect that a step drill is used and that it wasn't plunged deep enough.

I bought the PWA new from RB Precision a week or so ago.  Awsome folks to deal with and I highly recommend them!!

All my best,
Rob
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Russ4777, I bought one of the PWA lowers from RB as well.  The markings match yours.  The only difference on mine is that the PWA logo is engraved very shallow and appears lighter than the other letters but it still looks good and is sharp.  I haven't seen any others so I do not know if it is just mine or a batch of them.  I would buy another one if I had the money right now.

Edited to add:
I used an RRA lower parts kit and had no problems installing any of the detents on mine.  PWA lower from the same distributor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
To: Ghost Shooter

The receiver in the pic above was purchased new together with 2 others in early 1996.  They are in the serial number range of 423XX, or 5 digits.  

I have other PWA receivers that were purchased directly from Pac West Arms (PWA) in 1985 with serial numbers down in the 61XX range.  They have the raised fence around the mag release button but do not have the large radius under the front pivot lugs or the raised reinforcement at the buffer tube ring like the one in the photo.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top