Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 8:50:26 AM EDT
I bought a post-ban A2 Bushy (14.5 +Mini-y) a while back...Well I've been bitten by the bug and would like a no-ban AR with all the evil features and A3 upper.  The plan has been to gather pieces and build a brand new AR with all the evil features and then turn to Bushy into 20 incher (more of the M16 than M4 look)....However I'm starting to wonder if I should just turn my Bushy into the no-ban and sell the upper, it will be cheaper, however I will only have one AR.  Any suggestions?

BTW I still need a stripped lower, handguards, barrel, and bolt carrier group...basically the expensive stuff for the new one if I stick with that route.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You could sell the upper and get a new one ($100-150), change out the stock for a collapsing one($50-200) remove that stupid y-comp and get a FH ($5-50), and I think you'd be set.  Wait, I guess you'd be missing a bayo lug.  I think the front sight base can be removed and replaced with one that has a lug on the bottom, though I could be wrong.  That would be cheaper than creating a whole new AR AND converting the old carbine to an m16 type gun.

Conversion to M16 would require essentially a whole barrel assembly, and depending on the stock you have on that carbine, a new buttstock.  It'd probably run you about $200.

And of course, if you build an AR, you save a lot of money.  Parts kits from Model 1 Sales are pretty nice and go well with any number of stripped lowers.  I am under the impression that a model 1 carbine upper kit goes for about $420, then all you would need is the lower and maybe a stock.  

So you can get 2 new weapons for roughly the price of one if you want to trick out your old carbine and build a new gun.  I would try Model 1 Sales or J&T for build kits.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! After a lot of thinking I've decided I'm gonna take my time and get two ARs.  I'm afraid if Kerry gets elected we might get a new AWB so I definetly want to leave my options for the future open.  These are tough decisions to make, but definetly fun to think about !
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]

..........we might get a new AWB .....

I don't think it is might, I think it is when.  A few extra lowers is going to look pretty good in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..........we might get a new AWB .....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it is might, I think it is when. A few extra lowers is going to look pretty good in a few years.

This is very true....I might order a few lowers instead of one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top