Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 2:19:21 PM EDT
I'll start by saying I am by far not a builder of AR's.  My familiarity with them is from carry/cleaning m16's and m4's in the service.  So, I never did a lot of changing parts out.  (I let the armorer do my "thinking" for me )  Now, on to my question.  Is it a bad thing to use the same bolt/carrier in two different uppers?  I know that interchanging bolts is a no-no.  I am wondering if say, I had 2 uppers, and one complete bolt/carrier/ch could I swap them as needed, and not have any issues.  I am considering getting myself a "pre-ban" type upper, and I figure I'd throw in what I have now, which only has about 100 rounds fired,  and save $100 or so.  If that makes any kind of sense.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Without trying to oversimplify this.....

As long as your barrels are both in good condition and within spec, and your bolt is in good condition, and within spec, you can swap bolt/carrier assemblies between two upper all you want.

This comes up all the time.  The issue is, that a bolt wears, and a barrel wears, and typically, it is adviseable to have a bolt for every barrel.  However, it is not necessary, and as long as your barrels/bolts are not overly worn or out of spec, then you should never have any sort of problem with swapping.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Likey not, but some say you could have accelerated wear due to differing wear patterns of the two uppers.  If both uppers started out new, and your bolt/carrier started out new, likely you would not have a problem.

I have swapped bolts and bolt carrier assy's among rifles in troubleshooting.  Never a problem, nor did I have a fear of a problem.

STILL, it would be best if you bought a bolt carrier assembly for each upper.

I can see being on a budget, and using one bca for both for a while, until you safe your pennies for another.  Won't hurt a bit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
To clarify, I would probably end up putting this group into the new upper, and sell the old one minus the bolt/carrier, etc.  I wanted to be sure it's totally "safe" to do so, and it sounds like it'd be ok.
Thank you for the info!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top