Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:52:00 AM EDT
I'm getting ready, now that the ban is gone, to get my first AR.  I've decided to start with a standard 20" AR15A2.  I'm trying to get it as close to the A2 as I can.  I have also decided to build my own to help keep down costs and get exactly what I want.  Here are the questions I can't answer though:

1. Should I get a kit (like from J&T or Model1) or buy it piece by piece?  Will a kit be as good?
2. What should I keep a look out for if I want this as accurate (A2 wise) as I can?  Any special parts that are "must have" that may be extra or not every kit comes with?
3. Any landmines that I should avoid (like "don't get this lower, get this one" or "replace this part with this one and you'll be alot happier")?
4. Any words of wisdom from those of you that have done this 1 or 2 or 100 times before that I might have missed?
5. I was thinking either a RRA or a DPMS but is the one that is better?  How much do these cost nowadays?
6.  I guess the first thing to do is get the lower.  Which is the best to go with as far as color, quality, fit with the upper?
7. For the future, I also wouldn't mind looking into building an A1.  Is this the same as the A2 as far as getting the parts or the kit?  Is the A1 harder to get all the parts needed for it?

Thanks for all the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready, now that the ban is gone, to get my first AR.  I've decided to start with a standard 20" AR15A2.  I'm trying to get it as close to the A2 as I can.  I have also decided to build my own to help keep down costs and get exactly what I want.  Here are the questions I can't answer though:

1. Should I get a kit (like from J&T or Model1) or buy it piece by piece?  Will a kit be as good?
Should be fine for either place.  But being in Illinois, you will have to pay tax for Model1

2. What should I keep a look out for if I want this as accurate (A2 wise) as I can?  Any special parts that are "must have" that may be extra or not every kit comes with?
Most kits will come with the standard parts.  If you really want to be more accurate, you can get National Match parts for the sights.

3. Any landmines that I should avoid (like "don't get this lower, get this one" or "replace this part with this one and you'll be alot happier")?
Some will say get a forged lower and stay away from the cast.  Others say that the lower experiences no stress, so it doesn't matter.  To me, the price difference is so low, that you should stick with the forged.

4. Any words of wisdom from those of you that have done this 1 or 2 or 100 times before that I might have missed?
Just don't rush things and be careful with all the springs.

5. I was thinking either a RRA or a DPMS but is the one that is better?  How much do these cost nowadays?
For a lower:  RRA is my favorite, but there probably isn't much difference.  Cost should run form $95-$110.  However, you can probably find a MEGA or STAG or Grizzley with the same quality as RRA or DPMS for a few dollars cheaper.

For a kit: RRA is again my favorite, but you will have to buy the components separately.  I think it will be cheaper than DPMS.  Model1 and JT will be least expensive.

6.  I guess the first thing to do is get the lower.  Which is the best to go with as far as color, quality, fit with the upper?
Just depends.  If you match upper and lower brands, then the color should be fine.  If you go with a parts kit from M1 or JT then you never really know.  Fit on a RRA lower will be tight but good.

7. For the future, I also wouldn't mind looking into building an A1.  Is this the same as the A2 as far as getting the parts or the kit?  Is the A1 harder to get all the parts needed for it?
Should be pretty much the same.  Maybe a bit cheaper.  The hard part might be finding the triangular handguards

HTH Joe
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's an example:

I just put together a new Ar15 A2.  Ordered in 2 pieces.  RRA complete uppper with 20" SS Wilson heavy barrel 1:8 twist.  And; RRA complete A2 standerd lower with NM trigger.

Total price - about $750

Same as my M16 A2 service rifle from the Corps except SS barrel (want accuracy for 600yrds) and the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
good question.. this is what i did
went to a gunshow and bought a olympic lower for 89 bucks
bought the 20 inch ar kit for 415..that was the price a couple of years back
peiced it together and had me a good 600 yard rifle, hehe accurate as hell

but that was taking chances. as with anything new there are always adjustments to be made, but i am definately happy with what i got. i reccomend goin the route i took if you dont want to spend much cash. total invested in that rifle  about 520 with the clips.

and as far as a lower receiver, i really dont think it matters to much, unless your gonna do some combat or roll around on the ground with it, hehe. the dpms however is the most structurally weakest receiver i have ever seen.. i got ripped at a gun show for 150 for one of those, stick with olympic. they have plenty of finishes and one made of different material. but for me a standard cast will do.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top