Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 3:01:57 AM EDT
Just got my AR back from the smith with my Phantom 5c2 attached.  It is indexed with the wide slot up.  I would have thought this to be indexed downward to prevent dust kick up when shooting prone.  Or is it to prevent flash coming up into your sight picture?  Should I send it back?  Help.  I'm confused about the index.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that you want the ports to be on the sides and top.  The bottom is closed to stop the gasses from kicking up the dust and dirt.

If you have ever been shooting next to a guy shooting a "y" comp, you would understand the amount of force/air that that little .223 can use/move.

Good luck, and happy shooting.

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just got my AR back from the smith with my Phantom 5c2 attached.  It is indexed with the wide slot up.  I would have thought this to be indexed downward to prevent dust kick up when shooting prone.  Or is it to prevent flash coming up into your sight picture?  Should I send it back?  Help.  I'm confused about the index.  Thanks.

Without looking at it, I'd say that your "Smith" indexed the Phantom 180 degrees out.  As previously stated, the wide section should be placed at the 6 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Borrowed a picture from BrightFlashlights:

Your 5C2 should be indexed as shown in the picture (left one) - with the closed portion facing down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  Looks like he got it upside down.  I be talking to him.

Guz
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top