Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:38:52 PM EDT
Something to refinish handguards.

I just bought an old M16A1 upper from Buffertech, and, I would like to make it look brand new, well, not so much that, but atleast make the upper match the lower.

The upper is a bit lighter than my lowers, so I am looking for something that I can spray my upper with, and get it as close as possible to my Ameetec Arms lowers, which are almost identical in color to new Bushmaster lowers for reference.  I have access to a large oven, so I can bake the peices if necessary.  If you list a color/brand, please be as specific as possible!  

I also would like to refurb my A1 Furniture, and was wondering if there is something that can be sprayed onto those items to make them look like they once did as well.  

I know the rifle won't have the "original" grey finish, but that is ok.  I'm looking for a great looking rifle with that old school style.  And I'd honestly have a very hard time spraying one of my AA lowers, because they are just that nice looking.

Thanks for your help guys.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, I was wondering if there are finishes out there that will stay on without having to do anything to the finish that came on the upper.  I'd love to avoid having to sandblast or do something like that if at all possible.  Anyone know of something I can just spray over a very clean/dry finished upper?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You CAN have that original gray finish.  Or black, or olive drab, tan, etc.

Here's how:

www.combat-tupperware.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10200

And here is where you buy:

www.molyresin.com/
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I redid the scratched-up "furniture" on an AP-74 with common rattlecan flat black polyurethane paint. I don't remember the brand--something I got at a discount store, most likely. Something like Krylon or Rustoleum. Anyway, I did it over 10 years ago and it came out well, looks like original M16A1, and has worn well over all these years. Should work for you, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
To match the Bushmaster color you need to find a deep purple that they use...  

mark

Sorry, but I could not resist!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Haha, quite alright.  Little humor never hurts.

I'd go with grey, but I'd have a much harder time spraying my lower than I would my upper.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Also...Im looking for something that comes in a spray can.  Don't particularly want to mess with an airbrush.  Brownells now sells gunkote in a spray can...wonder if I would have to strip the current finish off the upper and barrel??

Scott
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
no you dont have to remove the old finish in order to apply gunkote. blast w/120 grit aluimum oxide (40 psi)and clean w/any pre paint cleaner(prep-sol) be sure to apply the finish in dry coats or it will turn to a semi gloss finish. bake time also changes the color. the longer the bake the stronger the finish gets but it also can turn to an olive drab.its a great finish but it takes a few tries to get the color right, i suggest using it on mags to practice. good luck
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II is what you are looking for.  Very easy to use and pretty tough.  Just let it cure a full week before using.  Not very expensive either.  I have done a ton of stuff with it ranging from synthetic stocks to aluminum sight bases to stainless steel barrels.  Just follow the directions, no bead blasting-it won't hurt but is not needed-no baking, just spray and let dry.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Marksman I'm doing the same thing and I'm going to follow Stickman's instructions. I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I'll do the Grey-Green option. I guess I have to leave the handguards as-is because they won't survive a 300 degree bake.

Got the airbrush, waiting on the paint and of course the gun parts (shopping the EE).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II is what you are looking for.  Very easy to use and pretty tough.  Just let it cure a full week before using.  Not very expensive either.  I have done a ton of stuff with it ranging from synthetic stocks to aluminum sight bases to stainless steel barrels.  Just follow the directions, no bead blasting-it won't hurt but is not needed-no baking, just spray and let dry.

Sounds like that is the ticket.  Any specific color you can recommend to match a bushy lower well?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
if you are going to spray the upper, might as well spray the lower too to match...

so just pick a color you like, and spray it all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd rather not...otherwise I'd just spray the lower gray.  It would be easier anyways...but I'd like to keep my lower in its original condition.  Its too nice as it is now, and I love black rifles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]

I guess I have to leave the handguards as-is because they won't survive a 300 degree bake.

Really?  Are you sure?  How about if you sprayed them, and baked them at 250 for 1.5 hours instead, just to be safe?

Let me know if I can be of any help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top