Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:04:50 PM EDT
How critical is it to tighten and loosen three times when installing a new barrel to a new receiver?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh, i didnt!!!!!! I wasnt useing a brand new receiver so i just uninstalled the old barrel and stuck the new one in. Tightened it till it was hand tight, then stuck a torque wrench on it and went to 35 ft lbs.... hast let loose yet and works like a champ.........
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't even sweat it.  I've built thousands without doing that and have never had one come back for that reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just wondering as I only tightened it twice and then concentrated on getting the gas tube lined up properly. But you know how it is with those damned nagging doubts. Should I or shouldn't I, or oh for Pete's sake don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
All the "torque three times" thing is about is smoothing out the new threads so it will tighten up smoothly.

And the exact torque is not important, 30 is recommended minimum, but truthfully, 25 is enough.

If you get to 30, and the notch is lined up correctly, fine, stick in the gas tube, you are done.

If the notch is not lined up, remove the torque wrench, replace with a long breaker bar, and continue to tighten the nut until alignment is achieved.  The long breaker bar will give you finer control over this process.  

Alignment may happen at 30, it may be 50, or 75.  It will not automatically line up at a magic number.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
It is not critical at all.

The only reason they do that is to make sure that it is fulling tightening on the receiver, and not getting tight because of some thread deformation.....

Just get it good and snug, then keep tightening up to the next gas tube hole alignment.

I dont even use a torque wrench.... my hands just know it by feel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top