Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:26:14 AM EDT

In installing my 6pos collapsible stock, I noticed something when I removed my regular A2 stock.

After unscrewing the rear screw a spring popped out underneath and of course shot across the room

I found the spring but was there a piece of steel that was in there too? I'm thinking there was but I sure didn't see it.

I went ahead and installed the RRA stock with the spring only even though I cannot see the purpose of it.

Help with possible replacement part? Is this part really necessary? What does it do?

Little help?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a spring and an indent that holds the rear take down pin in place.

Look at the lower parts blow up diagram and you should see it.

it is juse like the ones that hold your front take down pin in place, and the one that makes your saftey snick on and off.

I hope this helps.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure that happened to almost everyone that has ever messed with ARs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
also look at the buffer retaining detent,  the edge of the buffer tube hold it in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It happened to me last night, too, and I know better.  I used a flashlight and found that the pin was still in the receiver, so I was lucky.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
AHHH!! I'll check there!

Didn't dawn on me to look in the receiver...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the takedown pin spring & takedown pin detent.  If you need to replace them, they'll run about 50 cents each.  Georgia Precision has a pretty good online catalog with some good drawings.  Go to the Online Catalog section.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The pin never left the receiver, all is good!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If you need a new one, well, it's not new.  It took flight about a year and a half ago, but upon delivery of our new refridgerator, I finally found it, way back in the corner!  My biggest question is: How did the damn detent get from the garage to the kitchen?  The door is always shut between the two areas.  I believe that after taking flight, a buffer detent grows legs while in mid-air, and then upon landing, scurries away to a warmer place.  If anyone has a better explanation, let me know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If you need a new one, well, it's not new.  It took flight about a year and a half ago, but upon delivery of our new refridgerator, I finally found it, way back in the corner!  My biggest question is: How did the damn detent get from the garage to the kitchen?  The door is always shut between the two areas.  I believe that after taking flight, a buffer detent grows legs while in mid-air, and then upon landing, scurries away to a warmer place.  If anyone has a better explanation, let me know.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top