Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 10:44:34 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm in the process of building my first AR-15. I'm trying to make it as close to an issue M16A2 as possible. I already have my RRA Lower put together, and am thinking of building up one of those blemished Grizzly/LAR uppers. I am somewhat confused however, on what parts I will need to order to assemble the upper.

I know I will need these:
- Stripped Upper
- Rear Sight Assembly
- Forward Assist Assembly
- Ejection Port Cover Assembly
- Charging Handle Assembly
- Bolt Carrier Group
- Barrel Assembly (I'm looking at buying this one.)

1) Am I missing anything?

2) Does the M16A2 use a heavy barrel or a govt. profile barrel?

3) Are there any good free guides out there for assembling the uppers themselves? In another thread, a person recommended buying the Bushmaster Armorer's video. I don't mind doing that, but if I can save money, then I'm gonna do it!

4) Does Bushmaster Chrome-line their barrels? Specifically the one I mentioned above.

I know I'm asking a lot, so thanks any help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

3) Are there any good free guides out there for assembling the uppers themselves? In another thread, a person recommended buying the Bushmaster Armorer's video. I don't mind doing that, but if I can save money, then I'm gonna do it!

Check the link 'Information' above for more manuals and downloads... The -23 is a must for the home builder...

www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

The Bushmaster barrel you've linked to is chromelined with a 5.56 chamber...

edited to add: on the manual link I posted right click and select 'save as' to download it to your computer...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
btt

ETA: Thanks for the guide Darkstar, that should come in handy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yugo,
The M16A2 uses the Govt' profile in 1/7 twist. But  I think the Bushmaster upper would do good for you. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The twist rate doesn't really bother me much. I'll most likely just be shooting 55gr. bullets, so 1/9 in fine with me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
i bought 2 of the A3 LAR blemished uppers but they mailed me A2's so i emailed them and they called me first thing the next morning and mailed the A3's even before i got to the post office to send the A2's back. even offered me free shipping on the A2's but i told dave not to worry about it. great company. and the A2's looked very good with just a slight blemish on the left side,if id wanted A2's i woulda kept them both!  have no fear about ordering from LAR great people!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top