Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 3:21:55 PM EDT
Anyone else have trouble getting the mag catch installed without having to grind/polish the sides of it?  I had a parts kit I got from CMMG (not sure of the brand) and I installed the catch, but it was too stiff to engage with an empty mag.  I ended up taking a dremel to the flat sides and now it works great.  This was my first build so I am curious if this is normal or not.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem with mine. I ordered two kits from Model 1. The first mag catch works great but the second was the same as yours. Both kits are Model 1 and both lowers were CMMG. I have not disassembled and smoothed it yet but I will. Did you have problems with the detent pins? I did on both. I changed to DPMS pins and they worked fine. The others were to long, couldn't get them compressed enough to get the takedown pins in.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Every other part worked just fine out of the bag, I just have a few scatches on the lower from hammering out and in the roll pin multiple times.  No big deal though, it's a tool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Have built 6 ARs and not had that problem; but then I've never bought anything from CMMG or Model 1.

Brother, you got sent an out of spec piece, which is why I don't use anything but Colt milsurp or Bushmaster parts in my ARs.  Tried both DPMS and RockRiver, early on, and got at least one defective part in each. Learned my lesson early
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you try the mag catch in a different lower or a different mag catch in that lower.  I was building 2 lowers and swapped the mag catch from one to the other because of this ver y problem.  Now it is not a problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top