Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 1:04:32 PM EDT
I was wondering if I need to spend the extra $6 for the special tool to swap my A2 stock with a 6 position one from RRA??  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Any CAR stock wrench will do.  The special wrench just gets a better grip on the castle nuts... but in my experience is not necessary.  You can use a screwdrive and hammer if thats all ya got.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]

I was wondering the same thing till i bought one.

There are some dealers selling the stock with the tool for like $72 or $75 shipped which is a great price.

I got the tool as I thought i needed it. Once you put everything together, the wrench is good for about a 1/8 to 3/8's of a turn. IMO, not worth an extra $6.

I might just have strong hands to tighten that nut though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It's only an extra $6. That is how I looked at it and bought one from BM. Something to do with right tools for the job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
YOU CAN ALSO USE A PUNCH AND HAMMER IT WORKS FINE BUT I LIKE MY $4 CAR WRENCH UP TO YOU
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree, $6 to keep from slipping and marking up your stock, it's a no brainer to me.  I have used the hammer and punch and it works, but damned if I can keep it from marring up the nut a little bit.  That $6 tool will not mark it up at all.  Well worth it IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
When I got my rifle from Ton80 on gunbroker, the stock was installed crooked, along with other stuff  .  My friend suggested wrapping up the castle nut with a lot of black tape and using a set of pliers.   I just ordered a wrench from Brownells and waited patiently for 3 days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I did mine with a dinner fork.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I mail mine to Diane Feinstein to have her install my telestocks. I hear Chucky Schumer will do it if she's busy trying to take away our gun rights.

Seriously, shell out the six bucks - it'll make your life a whole lot easier, and as others have mentioned, there's less chance of slipping and scratching up your receiver extension.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top