Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 1:00:32 PM EDT
I'm looking to add a few Coyote brown parts to my M4 (Stock, grip, etc.) and was wondering if it was worth buying new handguard panels or painting the black ones that came with my knights FF RAS?

I've attempted to paint other plastic parts before (Accuracy International AICS stock) and have had marginal results with Polypropylene and Polyetheylene parts.  They look good to start, but they wear quickly.  Just can't get the paint to stick.

If you've painted plastic AR parts before, what did you use and how did it turn out?  Also, what paint matches Coyote Brown?  I think Krylon has a plastic paint now, but I've never tried it.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Desert Tan Alma-Hyde II on the receiver extension of my Magpul stock, which is some sort of plastic material.  It closely matches the M93's color (C.B.) and is durable.   I used three or four coats timed in 5 minute intervals, and let it cure at about 90F for 3 days.

-z
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Zak,

I think I found pics of your rifle elsewhere.  Can you post or email me another for reference.  Did you use Desert Tan or Coyote Alumahyde?  They offer both.

Thanks!
Eric
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy some of the Coyote XT rail covers from MagPul.

I did the whole painting thing, befoire I wised up and just bought what I really needed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Redhook,

Here are links to thing I've painted  with AHII:

M93 stock DT/CB top only: www.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/MRP/?small=117_1777_img.jpg
old telestcok: www.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/MRP/?small=129_2993_img.jpg
Entire receiver ext tube on M93 ODG: apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/AR10-Sunset/

I tried Coyote Brown, Earth Brown, and Desert Tan.  Although they are all very close in color, the Desert Tan AHII matches the standard Coyote Brown color  on Magpul, Falcon, and CavArms stuff.

Hope this helps

-z

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top