Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:44:37 PM EDT
Looks like getting a M4 Upper is about $50 more than a 16" CAR w/ a supressor.  I'm thinking the 16" CAR might be the way to go because not only is it cheaper, but it should have better performance than the 14.5" bbl with a 1.5" supressor.  The M4 has the definite coolness factor though.

Thoughts?  This is my first (of hopefully many) AR's, and I plan to use it for plinking, targets, and home defense.  Obviously, more plinking than anything.  Will be shooting Walmart or bulk ammo most of the time.

Also, what are your thoughts on chrome lined, and stainless bbls vs chrome-molly bbls?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember opinions are like A-holes everyone has them so this is my opinion. M4, chrome lined barrel, collapsable stock n everything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have owned both chrome lined chrome moly, and stainless- I have yet to wear out either of the three. If you plan on extended shooting w/o cleaning, go with chrome lined. Also, there is a lot of talk about 5.56v.223- just save the arguement on here and go with the 5.56. I have personally shot thousands of 5.56 out of .223 but some folks say its bad. As for M4 v CAR. If you are talking about 16" barrels- go CAR unless you have a 203. If you want a 14.5, it is still going to equal 16" with the permanent FH. So I would rather have the extra barrel.
JMHO
hope this helps- you did ask for opinions
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Remember opinions are like A-holes everyone has them so this is my opinion. M4, chrome lined barrel, collapsable stock n everything.

The better quote is..."Remember, opions are like A-holes, everyone has them, and all of them stink."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll never go for an extended period without cleaning.  I can't imagine putting more than a couple hundred rounds through it at a sitting, and I'm extremely anal about cleaning my weapons right after use.  That's why I'm thinking chrome isn't worth it for me.  Hell, I wish I could say that I've shot more than 100 rounds through any of my guns this year other than my .22's.

Does stainless offer anything over the chrome-moly?  I have a stainless Mini-30, and the finish isn't shiny.... do stainless AR barrels stay shiny or do they dull?  If they dull, I'm definately not going that route.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you clean like you say, all of them will stay shiney. Stainless is supposed to be more accurate than chromemoly. Cromemoly is more accurate than chrome lined. What is lost is barrel life. Will the average shooter see the difference in accuracy? Probably not. Unless you are using a FF tube in a varmint setup, you will probably never know the difference. It is a trade off-your decision. Also, you may or may not like the shiney outside of a stainless barrel. Some do, some don't.
Hope this helps.
I probably created more questions for you than I answered.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
None of my SS barrels are reflective, they are all black.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Some SS barrels are shiny, polished, and these are usually seen on target rifles.  

Some are bead blasted to a matte gray, similar to the SS Mini-14's.  This is pretty good, and blends in with most any background, urban or rural.

All of my stainless AR barrels have been from Olympic Arms, and are "black oxide" treated.  This finish is similar to the matte black anodized finish on most receivers, and is quite durable, in fact, for me as durable as parkerized CM barrels.

I do not have any full auto, nor do I bump fire.  I do occasionally dump a few mags as a function test.  I don't abuse them, nor do a coddle my SS barreled AR's.  And I don't think I'll ever see any difference in durability.  I have no experience with SS vs Chrome Lined vs Chrome Moly in sustained full auto fire.

But I live in a high humidity area.  SS or Chrome Lined is an advantage.  For marine use, or an officer's patrol rifle, riding around in a hot trunk, possibly moisture in a case, SS is the way to go.  No worries about corrosion in the bore/chamber, or on the outer surfaces.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looks like getting a M4 Upper is about $50 more than a 16" CAR w/ a supressor.  I'm thinking the 16" CAR might be the way to go because not only is it cheaper, but it should have better performance than the 14.5" bbl with a 1.5" supressor.  The M4 has the definite coolness factor though.

Thoughts?  This is my first (of hopefully many) AR's, and I plan to use it for plinking, targets, and home defense.  Obviously, more plinking than anything.  Will be shooting Walmart or bulk ammo most of the time.

Also, what are your thoughts on chrome lined, and stainless bbls vs chrome-molly bbls?

My assho opinion is the M4 all the way. Great look, performance etc. Get the 16" M4 and have the best of both options
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top