Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:20:07 PM EDT

I have a post ban Bushmast m4 and I want to replace the Mini Y Comp muzzle brake with an A-2 bird cage flash supprssor.  I called Bushmaster and I was told the barrel must be repalced.  I was hoping there was a cheaper solution.  Bushmaster quoted me $189 for a new barrel.  Brownells has a DPMS barrel for $145, that's a litt;e easier on my wallet.  I don't know anything about DPMS, are they quality products.  Would the barrel "drop in" so to speak?  THANKS  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.      

Flounder
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The barrels drop in, so to speak, if you have the right tools.  As far as your barrel situation goes, I think you can chop off the mini-Y comp and replace it with a FH.  You won't have a bayo lug, but if its a 16" M4 barrel, it won't make a difference since its too long to fit a bayo on anyways.  As far as the barrel quality goes, I would stick with a Bushmaster, and here's why: chrome lining and forged FSBs.  The barrel will last you a lifetime, so why skimp?  The swapping of the barrel is pretty straightforward, but you need to have an action block and a barrel wrench (if you are in the metro Atlanta area, I can help you with it since I have both).  Hop on over to the GA hometown forums once in a while.  Its a great bunch of guys with a couple of gunsmiths and a Class 2 manufacturer  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to a local smith-they should be able to remove it and install a FH for a fraction of the cost. I am taking one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
have a smith thread it.  i had a BM m4 barrel threaded for $80 (i think?) last year.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Just so you know, if you replace the Mini-Y-Comp on a 14.5" barrel with an A2 flash hider your barrel will not meet the 16" legal length and will have to be registered as a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for your advice.  This gun is in like new condition less than 1000 rounds throgh it.  But, I suppose selling my current post ban Bushmaster M4 and buying a new M4 will be more expenives than the cost of adding a new collapsable stock and new barrel to my current post ban M4.  So, it sounds like I'll be getting a new Bushmaster barrel from Santa.  Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
there are flash hiders that you can have attached to meet the 16inch requirement.  don't waste your money on a new barrel!

kurts kustom on this site (industry) is a smith who can do the work for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
To meet that requirement using the flash hiders you mention do they have to be permanently attached?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
To meet that requirement using the flash hiders you mention do they have to be permanently attached?

the barrel needs to be at least 16 inches long or it is considered an NFA item (sbr or short barreled rifle).  either it is 16inches long (threaded barrel) or a short barrel with a brake or hider permenantly attached to reach the length of 16 inches.

it's a stupid law but we have to play by it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I recently removed a mini-y from my M4.  It was a PITA, but it finally came off.  I agree about not spending the 180-whatever for a new barrel.  Man that sucks that Bushmaster simply says "oh just buy a new barrel".  ArmaLite was actually giving out coupons at some point before the ban was up for installation of flash hiders in place of the for-the-time-being brakes.  You would think Bushmaster would be a little more informative and a little less profiteering.  Oh well, I guess they gotta run a business and all, but still, a ~$40 fix is better than a $180+ one.  

If you consider removing the brake, refer to this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=199788

Then all you would need to do is figure out which FH you want.  If it absolutely must be an A2, then all this is pretty much out of the question, unless you register your gun as an SBR.  If you decide to opt for something from KKF or a Phantom or a Vortex, then this is for you.

I am always hearing that Kurt's turnaround rate sux0rs.  That's why I opted for the Phantom.  Any comments on that?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top