Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:59:43 PM EDT
Has anybody seen supporting data for a side by side comparison of these to cartriges???

I have been looking at both... ammo would be easier for the 6.8 SPC... But I have no problem with getting any ammo since I will be doing reloads...

From what i have read that the 6.8 is better in termanal effects than the 6.5... But the 6.5 is more accurate at longer ranges...

Could someone help me out???

I am looking at both to my next ar-15...

LT
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
There have been many threads here and elsewhere comparing the two.  Please search for and read those before proceeding.

-z
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
They are totally different animals!  The 6.5 was designed to use a bullet with a very high BC. It is more efficient the farther it goes. If you want to shoot accurately into the next county...use the 6.5.

The 6.8 is  somewhat confusing. I am not really sure what it was designed for. There are too many irons in that fire and the story changes to fit the speaker.  It is basically a 30-30 semi auto and will kill animals in the Whitetail deer range.  There are a lot of cartridges that perform better ( and worse) than the 6.8 so it is up to the shooter. We have better get used to the idea..the 6.8 is here to stay...good or bad.  Someone has pushed the envelope and media hype will make it a hit.

Ammo....Wait and see!  The 6.5 is available at Cabelas or Midway.  The 6.8 never materialized unless you were a writer.

Its your choice...Near or far!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There have been many threads here and elsewhere comparing the two.  Please search for and read those before proceeding.

-z

Zak's right.  But I'll add the same comment I always add.  I can build a 6.8 from scratch for a good price and to my configuation wants/needs, but I have to beg, borrow or steal to get a good stash of ammo and mags.  The 6.5 is offered in VERY LIMITED configurations, with no components offered (barrel and bolt) and is priced quite high, but the ammo is more readily available.  To me it is a choice of which which brick wall do I choose to hit my head on for an indefinite period of time.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]

It is basically a 30-30 semi auto

The 7.62x39 is basically a 30-30 semi-auto.  The 6.8SPC has a trajectory basically identical to 75-77gr 5.56, or 168gr 308.

Ammo....Wait and see! The 6.5 is available at Cabelas or Midway. The 6.8 never materialized unless you were a writer.

I've been shooting 6.8SPC since March, and I'm nobody.  What did you do wrong?

-z
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh-

mongo,

I'm pretty sure mags for 6.8 are readily available now.  Contact MSTN, PRI, or Barrett.

Also, you should be able to get some brass to load your own 6.8SPC.    If you can't find any, and MidwayUSA, Wideners, etc, are all sold out, email me privately.

-z

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not worried about the ammo I reload all my ammo... Basicly the 6.5 would mr better suited for long range and the 6.8 for mid range???

I was looking into the .308, but wanted something different..
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
A long barrelled 6.5 Grendel is a better choice for beyond 500 yards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=600

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oh-

mongo,

I'm pretty sure mags for 6.8 are readily available now.  Contact MSTN, PRI, or Barrett.

Also, you should be able to get some brass to load your own 6.8SPC.    If you can't find any, and MidwayUSA, Wideners, etc, are all sold out, email me privately.

-z

The search is on!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top