Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 6:55:42 PM EDT
My next project is going to be a .300/221 Fireball... commonly available in carbine length barrels only and I REALLY want a mid-length handguard.  (I just think they look the most proportionate.)

The obvious problem is the carbine front sight base being in the way.  Since the gas port is to the back (toward the receiver) I think the FSB could be cut off (leaving on the back 1/2) and milled down enough to allow a mid-length handguard to fit over it.  My question is how to handle the new front sight base...  part of it will be on the correct diameter of .750 and the other half will be on the .725 barrel diameter.  Does anyone know if a "real" dissipator barrel has a diamter of .750 until the sight base or does the front sight base have an inside diameter of .725?  If this is the case, where can I get a FSB like that?  It would be easy to drill the back 1/2 to .750 and leave the front at .725... perfect!  

The other option is using a standand sight base and using some sort of bushing to take up the extra 25 thousandths.

If anyone has done this or has any ideas... please provided some input.

Thanks much!

Scot
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
NOBODY???  

Come on!  I thought this was a great idea... I'm the only one to think of this?

Scot
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I got 2 ideas for you.
Find an early GOV pencil barrel they had barrel diam. of 5/8" which is .625 see if you have enough material to have it reamed out to .750 and ream the other side to .725. If that cant be done take a .750 FSB and go to any place that rebuilds electric motors and buy a couple of 5/8 motor bronze shaft bushings. They can be bought in  .625 inner diam. and .750 outer diam.  Ream one to .725 and press it into the FSB side that you need .725 and your there.  Awhile back I bushed a fulton armory .750 4 rail gas block to a .625 barrel. Looked great. Should work the same except your only using 1 bushing and you will have to bore it out to .725 and install. when you press it in you will have to ues a press (not hammer it in) becaus you will be pressing in a bushing that is .025 thick. Pretty thin but with a little grease and even preasure I dont see why it couldnt be done.
Good luck let us know how it comes out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  I like the idea of a smaller diameter FSB off an older gov profile barrel.  Properly machined it would look great!

Scot
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top