Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 3:28:41 PM EDT
I have now an 80% lowers - fortunately I got them a couple of years ago, and got them cheap.

I tried using the big (1&1/16) drill bit, and messed up the alignment.  Pretty annoying, because I had already ton a lot of work on it.

Maybe it would go better with some vises in the drill press, except my drill press is not big enough, so I swung the top around.

I tried the reamer, but it does not appear to cut well enough.  I found a web site where the reamer was tapered, but I have no idea how to do that, any suggestions?

thank you

Richard

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a local welding shop and have them run a bead of aluminum wire weld in the buffer tube hole and start over.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ideally there should be a fixture which locates off the takedown pin holes which has replaceable drill bushings.

1 size to ream the tap drill size
1 size to act as a tap guide.

I used a boring head (in a Bridgeport Knee mill) to be sure hole was both proper size and position.

80%'s can be completed with just a drill press and hand tools, but require supporting fixtures to get it right.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Richard..

just JB weld the buffer tube on permanetly.... should work just fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top