Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 6:29:28 AM EDT
Hi all.  I have a RRA delta ring assembly that I just installed with a BM 14.5" barrel on a CMT upper.  I tried & failed to install 2 sets of handguards (bot a set of RRA "M4" ones and a set of Colt "M4" (double heat shield ones).  After several failed attempts, I looked at the thickness of the lip at the rear of both of the hanguards...it was clearly thicker than the space I have available using the delta kit I installed.  Now, before you ask, I don't have "girly-man hands" so I am not having a problem with pulling the spring back far enough...and yes, I am familiar with assembly/dissassembly of these weapons (11yrs in the 'Corps).  The problem is that I can pull back the delta ring to allow the handguard to "seat" on the barrel nut, but then the delta ring won't fit over the end of the handguard lip.  It appears that my delta ring has too narrow of a gap...perhaps it is for rifle handguards only??? (though I no longer have any riflr ones here to test).  SO, do you folks think I should I shave down the plastic on my handguard to allow it to fit or should I get another delta ring?  

Thanks.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, I thought I was the only one having that problem! I just put a Bushmaster 16" barrel assembly on my Colt and I had to get a friend to help me get the handguards on and I CANNOT get them off by myself. I've never had a problem getting the original handguards off or on this rifle (when it was all Colt) and I've never had a problem with the many M16A2s I've used (I was in the Corps too). What's going on here?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure.  I do know that the handguards on my old Bushy carbine seemed more difficult to remove than my rifle-length ones (I attributed this to it having "new" springs), but in my case this time, I can't get them on.   I will probably shave them a little bit...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
*cricket.....cricket....*
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I just finished building a upper using a Bushmaster 14.5 barrel. The handguards are the M4 type. And they were a bitch to get on. But they did and they fit great.  Actually I was in the basement and the handguard removal tool I made was upstairs along with the lower. I was too lazy to go get it. So I muddled through and grunted alot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top