Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2004 2:05:44 PM EDT
I have a brand new Phantom and a brand new threaded barrel.

The Phantom came with a washer that has a flat side and a tapered side.

Does the tapered side go towards the barrel or towards the flash suppressor?

Do I torque the flash suppressor down on to the barrel until the supressor is in the correct (closed port down) position?

Please do your part to help the mechanically retarded amongst us.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
(Edited to add) On my Bushmaster installed phantom, the "pointed end" of the crush washer is toward the flashhider... but apparently that is backwards... who knows.  Anway, you don't need a torque wrench, just crank it on 'til the closed port is in the 6 o'clock position.  Keep in mind crush washers are one time use only.  If you crank it too far installing it or remove the FH once it's already installed you'll need to use a new washer.

Don't forget, it's not legal to have a fully assembled post-ban AR (or even the upper and lower in the same residence) for a few more days!

Scot
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Don't forget, it's not legal to have a fully assembled post-ban AR (or even the upper and lower in the same residence) for a few more days!

Scot

Actualy haveing the parts in the same place in your possesion is not illegal. that only pertains to NFA items. If what he said was true, anyone who owned a preban could not at the same time own a post-ban. As long as your parts are not assembled to the point where you can fire the weapon, you will be alright.  upper off the lower, with bolt and carrier removed and tele-stock not slid on the extention tube.  Just dont have the upper on the lower till monday to be safe....
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Viper,

Not to be contrary, but some respected people here had agreed you could possess the parts in a non assembled form if they need to be assembled with TOOLS.  If you can slap the gun together with your bare hands possession was a no-no.  Who knows for sure.

Your other point is valid and one I have often wondered about.  Hypothetically, if a person owned 1 complete pre-ban, 1 complete post ban, and several preban uppers to swap on the preban lower, is that person committing a crime?

Regardless, the point will be moot in a few days!

Scot
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top