Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2004 2:30:53 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the set screw adjustable FSB's sold by Armalite and Fulton Armory and/or can a standard FSB be drilled and tapped out to use set screws?  Wanting to add a non-neutered FSB to my rifle if the next few days go well and trying to figure out the best approach between the adjustable type(I do like the idea of windaage adjustment) or sending the barrel off to have the taper pins installed.  I do realize that either way the cost is about 1/3 as much as a new barrel, but the barrel in question shoots well and has had less than 2000 rounds through it so the cost isn't too bad compared to a new barrel.

Thanks,
Jason
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I drilled and tapped old taper pin holes for #8-32 setscrews and installed a few FSBs that way.  I try to dimple the barrel where the setscrews will land to add rigidity.  Sometimes the old taper pin holes either don't allow this or the setscrews land in them and you are good to go.  They hold up pretty well.

4 setscrews, a #29 drill bit and a #8-32 tap will set you back no more than $20, probably alot less if you know where to shop.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I drilled and tapped old taper pin holes for #8-32 setscrews and installed a few FSBs that way.  I try to dimple the barrel where the setscrews will land to add rigidity.  Sometimes the old taper pin holes either don't allow this or the setscrews land in them and you are good to go.  They hold up pretty well.

4 setscrews, a #29 drill bit and a #8-32 tap will set you back no more than $20, probably alot less if you know where to shop.

Thanks Mongo!

I think I have already shopped for a #29 and either the #8-32 or #8-36 tap(or possibly finer) if I can find one from a previous shotgun sight install project.  After reading your post I did a search and found this:

http://www.gswagner.com/arsight/arsightmods2.html

Does this seem to be what you are telling me?  Feel pretty confident about this type of install considering match shooters are anal about keeping stuff from jarring loose:)

Thanks a bunch!!

Jason
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, that's pretty much it.  Your barrel likely won't be as neat as the match barrel that guy used but that doesn't make all that much difference.  Notice he also installed two setscrews on the bottom as well.  That would also add to the rigidity of the whole setup.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top