Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 5:32:00 PM EDT
I've been looking into a home business on and off for a while now, and seeing this thread prompted me to poll you guys.

I'm looking at a computer driven laser engraving machine.  It'll be costly to start up initially, but I think there is a market that is not limited to firearms.  I do know that If I do business via mail, I'll have to get an FFL.

The size of the machine I'm looking at should be able to do uppers, lowers and miscellaneous parts w/o a problem.

I'm thinking custom logos, selector markings (the HK type would be cool) and anything else one might think of.

So, whatdya think?  would you spend a few bucks to get your lower  (or ?) tricked out like you want it?

what would you pay for selector markings on the right side of your lower?  both sides?
how about a logo, or a saying like the RKBA? Molon labe?

give me some feedback, the talk on this site is what got me thinking about it some time ago.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Got FFL?

You don't need one for 80%, but I suspect 100%'ers would want to use your service, too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that'd be hellacool, especially if you marketed towards the interests of those near you (like you said, not just firearms)

Commemorative plaques, trophies, etc etc etc are all possibilities.

Just curious....what type of $$ would a setup like that run?

ETA:  You could build yourself a jig to hold lowers in the same spot every time and laser-etch the locations of all the holes you'd need to finish an 80% lower, possibly.  Since you're not actually making the holes, just putting a dot or crosshairs where they go, you'd *probably* be ok (BUT...I'm not an expert, and I'd check with one before you did such things for people)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ETA:  You could build yourself a jig to hold lowers in the same spot every time and laser-etch the locations of all the holes you'd need to finish an 80% lower, possibly.  Since you're not actually making the holes, just putting a dot or crosshairs where they go, you'd *probably* be ok (BUT...I'm not an expert, and I'd check with one before you did such things for people)

very cool.
Maybe crosshair with a circle where they go.
That ought to be easy to get a ruling on by ATF in writing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Now that I think about it, I seem to remember at one point someone was selling 80% lowers where the holes had been centerpunched......don't remember who it was, or if they had to leave something else not done though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now that I think about it, I seem to remember at one point someone was selling 80% lowers where the holes had been centerpunched......don't remember who it was, or if they had to leave something else not done though.

I thought the KT Ord 80% receivers have all the major pin holes spot drilled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the KT Ord 80% receivers have all the major pin holes spot drilled.

That may be who i'm thinking of.

ETA:  if they can do that, I don't see why etching a crosshair for each hole would be an issue then.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]

That is a really good idea.  I would buy one or two of those, not to mention, if the price was right having you do my engraving.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top