Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 4:37:15 AM EDT
I have had various stlyes and brands of ar15 uppers in my years of shooting this fine rifle.  But one thing that I did notice was the difference in feed ramp styles.  It is my opinion, extentions with the largest feed ramps jam less and seem to load from the magazine a whole lot easier.  With that said how do I go about opening up my uppers that have small ramps.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Read this link:

Feed Ramp Information

Will somebody tack bigbore's thread already!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what I needed to know thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will somebody tack bigbore's thread already!!

It is

FAQ I

C'mon, Tweak, nobody goes there unless they have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see Colt guys in there sometimes.
Usually to answer questions

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, now you've done it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see Colt guys in there sometimes.
Usually to answer questions

I guess that makes sense.  
After they spent all that extra money, and see equal or more failures,
they should remember really well what they did to fix things.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Note to self:

Add Tweak to my list of Colt Elitists.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Add Tweak to my list of Colt Elitists.

I'm a "functioning rifle" elitist.

So am I, horsey or not.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So am I, horsey or not.

Horsey or not +1. I've seen too many non horsey's not work without work and not work after extensive use to believe in them tho. Never said that some companies can't make a good rifle once in awhile. Hell, RRA even passed the 6,000 round acceptance test, once, for one agency, with a couple of rifles, built for the test.

I'm with you.  I no longer have a rifle (AR that is) that I did not build myself from high quality components.  I can no longer speak about factory quality because factory rifles are a thing of the past for me.  

Still torn on the RRA thing.  Never impressed overall with their stuff, especially the tight receivers.  Wondering why the agencies went with them.  Seems like there were better options out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and see equal or more failures,

I'll have one of whatever Larry's been smoking all day.

Larry, do a search for "Colt" in my forum. Remember that in her best year BFI sold a few more rifles to civilians than Colt did so complaints about BFI and Colt should be about equal.

While you're at it hit the forums of the various manufacturers and check the threads for complaints or requests for service.

People have a lot of complaints about Colt but the huge majority of those center on:

Price
Politics
Pins
Cosmetics
Conversions

This is a new record, you've been an irritation to me in less than the time it takes for me to reply to two threads you're in.

You know, I do read everything I can about the various manufacturers, and the conclusion I have come to is that among the main manufacturers, there doesn't seem to be a ton of difference.  I sure don't see thread after thread of complaints about Bushmaster or RRA, or Armalite. Everyone seems to like them all quite a bit.  So it seems to boil down to politics or personal choice.  Anothier thing I have noticed is that you don't post all that much, but when there is a question not getting answered, or someone gives some bad info, you usually come along and answer the question and set the record straight.  I appreciate that.  I didn't mean to piss on your thread.  But when someone comments on Colts, they are usually one of two things, a "Colt Elitist" or trying to be humorous.  Granted, you are one of the few people here knowledgeable enough to have a valid opinion of the various manufacturers, after seeing them over and over and over. I respect that.  So when you make a comment like that, why are you upset when someone picks up on it and pokes fun?  You knew what you were doing.  If you were saying it with a straight face, you would not have made the font so tiny.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry guys did not mean to start a whole manufacturing war here, I left the manufacturing names out on purpose on my original post But for the record here goes.  I swear to tell the whole truth and no thing but the truth, well close enouth to the truth as I can remember it.  First I varmit hunt with my AR's so I use a lot of Btips and hollow points. Second I have owned and built Ars for over 8 years.  I have only bought 1 complete rifle in my life that was a pre ban Bushy.  The rest I have built.  I have put togather 23 uppers.  everything fom a 16" m4 to 24' bull barrel.  The whole reason this got statred was a while back a friend and I were discusing FTF problems we were getting with hollow points.  I told him I try to use Btip bullets to stop that .  He then made the comment as my ears burned that his old 20" BBL Colt shot anything.  Now I will also state I am not a real big Colt fan.  So I pulled out my 20" Bull RRA upper and said this rifle feeds everything too.  That is when I looked at his feed ramps.  He has a DPMS receiver with a 16" Bull barrel he got off ebay.  Anyway very shallow ramps, as I now know as standard rifle ramps.  My RRA was "dremaled" as I now know.  He then pulled out his Colt and the ramps were huge.  I shit you not there was a hardly a middle groove in his extension.  We put 2 and 2 togather and he dremaled out his 16" and now it will eat any ammo you through at it.  All I was looking for was info on how and what dremals to use Or if someone knew of a way to machine them in.                
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So am I, horsey or not.

Horsey or not +1. I've seen too many non horsey's not work without work and not work after extensive use to believe in them tho. Never said that some companies can't make a good rifle once in awhile. Hell, RRA even passed the 6,000 round acceptance test, once, for one agency, with a couple of rifles, built for the test.

I'm with you.  I no longer have a rifle (AR that is) that I did not build myself from high quality components.  I can no longer speak about factory quality because factory rifles are a thing of the past for me.  

Still torn on the RRA thing.  Never impressed overall with their stuff, especially the tight receivers.  Wondering why the agencies went with them.  Seems like there were better options out there.

Like Mongo, I've built all recent ARs myself, and my one factory piece, a Colt SP1 carbine that I XM177d and class 3d over 25 years ago, I've rebuilt twice.

I've found that there are any number of OK stripped uppers and lowers out there.  It's the internals that seem to make the difference---which is why all my bolts and carriers are Colt, all but one buttstock is Colt, and all my hammers and disconnectors are Colt (milsurp M16 parts w/the full auto tangs ground off). Three out of 6 barrels are Colt, two Bushies and a Rock River---and I'm not thrilled w/the Rock River piece.

With grade one innards, problems just don't happen, even if the recievers are like Rock River or DPMS

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top