Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 5:45:56 PM EDT
I am looking for someone to engrave a lower I built from an 80%.  I have tried trophy shops, but they can only do flat pieces.  Anyone know of a good honest person I can send it to?  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I do know someone but unfortunately you now have a 100% lower and it should only be shipped to an FFL.......
AFIK..... Look for a shop that does "Machine Engraving" trophy shops use a scratch engraver usually and they suck pretty bad for what you want. The Machine engraver uses a rotary cutter like a mill or can be a laser machine.

If someone could confirm the legality of the shipping I will give you a telephone number.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Just take it to one of those mall-gifty joints, that sells and engraves trinkets...

Like "Things Remembered"

I would just stick around to keep an eye on your lower until the highschool kid behind the counter finishes up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I could still use that number, I have other 80%'s that I am planning of doing, that I will also need engraved.  Thanks

Quoted:
I do know someone but unfortunately you now have a 100% lower and it should only be shipped to an FFL.......
AFIK..... Look for a shop that does "Machine Engraving" trophy shops use a scratch engraver usually and they suck pretty bad for what you want. The Machine engraver uses a rotary cutter like a mill or can be a laser machine.

If someone could confirm the legality of the shipping I will give you a telephone number.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I will try that, thanks.  My wife wants to go to the mall today anyway.

Quoted:
Just take it to one of those mall-gifty joints, that sells and engraves trinkets...

Like "Things Remembered"

I would just stick around to keep an eye on your lower until the highschool kid behind the counter finishes up.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Went to Things Remembered, they wanted $54 per lower to engrave everything.  Needless to say, I passed on that.  The good news it that, they do engrave, but at a premium.  How much does it cost you to engrave your 80%'s?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i dont know...i have never built an 80%...AND my dad owns a rotary engraver.

SO i have never had to pay to get anything engraved.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I would imagine your local machine shop could do it so long as they have a cnc mill and the text and or image isnt too small.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

that's plagiarism.  

anyone else know where he got that joke?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe that is a tip that i stole from Quarterbores SBR FAQ.

IIRC
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
has anyone tried to use the "Do it yourself" engraving tool from SCM?

Seems to be a pretty good solution to do your own engravings.  Costs quit a bit but you can use it repeatedly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
for that kind of money, i would assume you are better off having someone else do it.

Unless you plan on building a business around engraving things.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I am curious if it would be legal for you to let me "Borrow" your lower to engrave it...?  The BATFE regulations indicate the following...

from trac.syr.edu/laws/18USC922.html

18USC922
18 USC Sec. 922   2/18/98
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS

Sec. 922. Unlawful acts

STATUTE

(a) It shall be unlawful -

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to

(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and

(B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Of cource, is engraving a "lawful sporting purpose"?

Actually just teasing as while I have a huge engraving machine I have not had the time to work with it as I am busy trying to do more important builds...  I really need to get a FFL!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The 100% completed one would have to be sent to an ffl who just happened to have an engraving machine (or knew someone close).  But I don't think the 80%'s would be a problem at all.  After all they are just a piece of metal until they are drilled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The 100% completed one would have to be sent to an ffl who just happened to have an engraving machine (or knew someone close).  But I don't think the 80%'s would be a problem at all.  After all they are just a piece of metal until they are drilled.

Not according to the LAW as quoted above... well assuming you were to loan it for lawful sporting use
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#15]
www.lauerweaponry.com does engraving.  there's also a FFL/SOT from MN who posts as likemopar on this site and 1919 forums that does engraving.  

i've seen Lauers work and it's great.  havn't seen anything from likemopar, but i shot some of his machine guns and he was a really nice guy.  i have his email address somewhere...his company is called tomsawyer arms or something like that.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Went to Things Remembered, they wanted $54 per lower to engrave everything. Needless to say, I passed on that. The good news it that, they do engrave, but at a premium. How much does it cost you to engrave your 80%'s?

I had a carbon fiber AR lower done at a trophy shop with a Lazer ingraver for $10.

I had a Steel HK clove receiver engraved at "Lasting Impressions" (kinda a gay name for having your firearm engraved...but what the hell)...they used a standard style engraving machine, but went over it like 10 times to get the correct depth...it turned out very nice....they charged $34.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Of cource, is engraving a "lawful sporting purpose"?

I'll bet you could club a fish with it, and then it would be legit!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Use an electric pencil. Mine came with templates for numbers and letters. Lay out lines left and right as well as  up and down to get the letters aligned. practice on scrap first though
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Use an electric pencil. Mine came with templates for numbers and letters. Lay out lines left and right as well as  up and down to get the letters aligned. practice on scrap first though

I'm pretty sure you won't get to the .003 depth they require with one of those.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top