Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 8:23:30 PM EDT
When installing a flash suppressor/flash hider, is there a maximum torque limit?
I read elsewhere here that some HP shooters use 15 ft/lbs.
Does "over torque" actually have an adverse effect on accuracy?
Example:
If looking forward, FS/FH bottom at 7 o'clock, some effort required with a 3/4" wrench to bring to 12 o'clock. Too tight?
Is there a recommended hand tight/snug position that the FH/FS should be at before using a torque wrench or calibrated elbow?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
High power shooters use hand tight Flash hiders with locktite.

15 ft/lbs is the GI spec with a peel washer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
High power shooters use hand tight Flash hiders with locktite.

15 ft/lbs is the GI spec with a peel washer.

What about a crush washer?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Don_Greenfield,
My original question didn't specify which type washer, but a crush washer was what I had in mind.

i_b, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never used a crush washer but as long as you don't exceed 15 foot pounds you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help i_b.

More FS questions!  The one I got from Bushmaster with my barrel has ports all around it.  This is the A1 model, correct?  The A2 would have some of them closed off to prevent dust from being kicked up, right?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have an A1 model. They can be installed using a split lock washer. They don't have to be indexed.

The A2 even with the blocked ports on the bottom still will kick up lots of dust.

I'm old school and still use the old three prong flash hiders on my ARs. They work well and are under $10.

Look under accessories. www.cmmginc.com

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sounds like you have an A1 model. They can be installed using a split lock washer. They don't have to be indexed.

The A2 even with the blocked ports on the bottom still will kick up lots of dust.

I'm old school and still use the old three prong flash hiders on my ARs. They work well and are under $10.

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/40.jpg

Does anyone know who made the 3 prong FS that CMMG carries (or anyone else carries, for that matter), my guess is DPMS as they're the only AR mfg that lists a 3 prong on their site, but you never know...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I ordered mine through CMMG and they were shipped from DPMS.

As you know, DPMS doesn't make anything. They are just a parts supplier. The three prong hiders are probably GI surplus.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The three prong hiders are probably GI surplus.

If they are GI why don't they advertise them as so,  the fact that they didn't lead me into believing that they are commercial repros.  But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
15ftlbs? Shit when I put my phantom(closed bottom) on I'm damn sure I had to use more than 15ftlbs to get it to where it indexed properly. But than again i didn't use a torque wrench so i couldn'really say I just know I had to crank on it to get it to index right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I found this great picture on another thread.

Shows an early duckbill, three prong, A1 and A2.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
15ftlbs? Shit when I put my phantom(closed bottom) on I'm damn sure I had to use more than 15ftlbs to get it to where it indexed properly. But than again i didn't use a torque wrench so i couldn'really say I just know I had to crank on it to get it to index right.

How do you know when your Phantom is indexed properly?  I have a new one with 4 openings in it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you know when your Phantom is indexed properly?  I have a new one with 4 openings in it.

uh, it's indexed correctly when there is at  least one slot facing downward!!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock to keep just one port blowing into the ground (dust)?
Or  1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30 to keep flame out of your sight?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't make fun of those who have postbans.
It's not cool.

So I should expect it to eliminate all flash?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
flame

you could have just answered the question.
I have one sitting on my computer desk waiting for next week.
I need to know, too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope you didn't think I was pissed. All good fun.
But, not having a flash suppressor, I wasn't sure if there was any flash, or just a lot less.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is it 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock to keep just one port blowing into the ground (dust)?

the point of the closed bottom on the phantom is to have the bottom port closed.  sounds silly, huh?  i'm not trying to be too much of a dick, but i can't understand what the confusion is.  where did you get the new phantom?  did you read the description or anything at all?  brightflashlights on the EE calls them "the new style with closed bottom port" and YHM says the same thing in their description.  If the bottom port is to be closed, don't put an open port facing down.  

the FS has two flat sides on one of the small rings.  those should be facing left and right- facing as in the faces of the cuts.  if you were to slide a wrench over the flats, it should point up or down.  if there is no port on the bottom and there are clearly open ports on the top, you've got it right.  if not, turn it 180.  hopefully you can turn it another 180.  if not, you might need a new washer and start over.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i can't understand what the confusion is.  where did you get the new phantom?  did you read the description or anything at all?  brightflashlights on the EE calls them "the new style with closed bottom port" and YHM says the same thing in their description.  If the bottom port is to be closed, don't put an open port facing down.  

Well, seeing as how I've never bothered with FS before since I have a post-ban rifle, and the only Phantom flash hider I've seen in person is at my local gun range and it had 4 slots, you've confuzzed me considerably.

Did the old Phantom have more slots in them or something, or do the new ones only have 3?  Do I have a new or old?  Do I install my 4-slot Phantom like + or like x as there is no "bottom" port (which assumes an opposing top port) that is closed?

the FS has two flat sides on one of the small rings.  those should be facing left and right- facing as in the faces of the cuts.  if you were to slide a wrench over the flats, it should point up or down.  if there is no port on the bottom and there are clearly open ports on the top, you've got it right.  if not, turn it 180.  hopefully you can turn it another 180.  if not, you might need a new washer and start over.  

a) having a port on the bottom and turning it 180 will result in another port on the bottom.  See how confusing it is to a newbie?
b) I didn't get a washer when I bought mine.  Is it necessary, and can I pick up the right kind of washer at a hardware store?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I have some crazy knock-off of a Phantom.
That was determined in another thread, because it has no flat spots at the base for a wrench.
Brightflashlights offered to take care of me very nicely to get me a real Phantom.
I guess that is what I need to do.
The one I have is not closed on bottom port, and is round around the base.
Sounds like I have a crappy paperweight, more than anything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#23]
you have got the regular phantom.  yes, you do need a washer for the FS.  the 5 port design is what you think you have.  

4 and 5 at yankee hill machine

and yes, i understand how confusing it is to try and follow along when you have a different part than what the 'instructor' thinks you have.

if you want to use the 4 prong that you have, go ahead and align it X if you want.  you'll still need a washer and it should have come with one.  you could probably get your gunshop guy to find you one seeing it should have come with it.  or, you could probably use a used one.  you have a few days to get one.  call paul at YHM and tell him your situation.  he'll most likely send you one for free.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
ok, thanks.

I have a crush washer, which I bought at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.  he really ripped you off.  how much did you pay for each if you don't mind?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/40.jpg

I just got one of these.  How do you tighten it with no flat spots for the wrench?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Wow.  he really ripped you off.  how much did you pay for each if you don't mind?

$20.00 for FS
$2.00 for crush washer

Live and Learn.
That's why I'm building my own, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#28]
jtw2,

You need a GI wrench to install the 3 prong. It will have cutouts that fit between the prongs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Doh!  I have the same thing.. do I have to use that tool, or is there a substitute I can use?

Hey Jeff, you have a GI tool? ..
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Doh!  I have the same thing.. do I have to use that tool, or is there a substitute I can use?

Hey Jeff, you have a GI tool? ..

I have no tool!

What the hell is a GI tool?

ETA: I have one of those big ol multi armorers wrenches, does that have the tool?  Lemme find that thing...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$20.00 for FS
$2.00 for crush washer

Live and Learn.

THAT'S A GOOD PRICE FOR THE ORIGINAL 4 SLOT MODEL.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$20.00 for FS
$2.00 for crush washer

Live and Learn.

THAT'S A GOOD PRICE FOR THE ORIGINAL 4 SLOT MODEL.  

Yup, I just got mine in the mail today and that's about what I paid for mine from Del-Ton.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Scroll down here for a picture of the tool used to tighten a three prong.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=199644
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Scroll down here for a picture of the tool used to tighten a three prong.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=199644

gotcha.

Nope, don't have one of those!

Thanks mang!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks guys!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top