Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 5:34:08 PM EDT
I'm building my first AR, so tonight I was putting on the hanguards to see how they look.  (Pretty sweet!)  I couldn't quite get them to snap together just right, so I gave them a little twist.  Pop. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_sad.gif That piece that's right behind the front sight that holds the front portion of the hanguards in place(don't know the correct name) now spins freely around the barrel.  Was that part welded to the front sight block?  Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this properly?  If I have to have it welded could you explain the best way to do it?

Thanks,  Matt
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The part you are referring to is the front handguard retainer. You do have the gas tube correctly installed through the hole in the retainer, correct?

If you do, it would be impossible for the retainer to spin.

The front handguard retainer is not welded to the barrel. It is "sandwiched" between the front sight base and the shoulder on the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
When you install the gas tube in the front sight base, the tube will hold it in place.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea,  I figured the gas tube would hold it in place, but I thought that might be a problem if the gas tube is always under a shearing force due to any twisting of the hanguards in use.  But if you guys say I'm good to go, I'll leave it alone.

Thanks for the help,

Matt
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So, what ya building?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
M4gery flattop, Aimpoint, ACE Socom stock, no rails.  I'll post a pic when I'm done.  I've never even fired or handled an AR before so I've relied heavily on the Arfcom throughout.  Can't wait till the 14th to get her finished and try her out!  WOOHOO!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top