Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 4:08:00 PM EDT
I am looking into building an AR and have been doing alot of reading.  I would like to get all RRA parts and build the one I like.  

A2 upper w/ 20" pre-ban(no ban I hope) chrome lined w/bird cage and full lenth hand guard.
A2 lower w/ trap door stock and houge grip
I would also like the teardrop (A1 style) forward assist.

O.K.  first off the 20" barrel says it is .223 wylde chamber.  what is this? can I shoot 5.56 out of this? I just want a 20" 5.56 chrome lined barrel. A threded barrel would be nice.

I have heard that the .223 is not for 5.56 but I don't know what the WYLDE CHAMBER is.
Also, they do not sell the teardrop FA at RRA.

HELP!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA doesn't offer a chrome A2 barrel, but don't worry about it.
It will be just fine without one, assuming you clean your rifle occasionally.

.223 wylde is "in between" .223 and 5.56.  It is sort of a compromise in chamber size.
Means there is a little slop in the .223 round, which makes it a wee bit less accurate by default, although with RRA's 1MOA claim, you won't notice unless you start shooting match ammo at 600 yds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I probably will never shoot 5.56 but I want to be able to since This is a one time thing.  I do not want to spend all kinds of money.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you give RRA a call and place your order via the phone, you can get the barrel and chamber chrome lined for a few extra bucks. I ordered a 16" mid-length pre-ban complete upper, and got it chrome lined. Total with shipping and COD (charge on delivery?) is $457.50. Now I'm just waiting for it to get here. Been 5 weeks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
So you are saying that I CAN shoot 5.56NATO it I had some?  Also, Lets just say I got a RRA complete upper and would like to place it on a new Bushmaster complete lower.  Will that work?  I just don't know this will be my first.

What do you think about RRA?
Is it worth the extra money to get a Bushy?

Looking at ADCO today and they have RRA parts cheaper than RRA do you guys buy from ADCO?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
ADCO is well respected among the AR15.com guys.

Read the Industry Forum, and you will get a feel for how helpful they are, or how customers feel about them, in general.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So you are saying that I CAN shoot 5.56NATO it I had some?  Also, Lets just say I got a RRA complete upper and would like to place it on a new Bushmaster complete lower.  Will that work?  I just don't know this will be my first.

What do you think about RRA?
Is it worth the extra money to get a Bushy?

Looking at ADCO today and they have RRA parts cheaper than RRA do you guys buy from ADCO?

Save yourself alot of worrying and just go with the RRA stuff from ADCO. Great gun, great company to deal with. Buy your lower parts and put it together yourself. It really will not save you much money, but it is easy and you will know your gun, inside and out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok so, Adco was on backorder so I just went to RRA and ordered some stuff.  They are a little higher but with free shipping it was about the same.  I got the Lower parts with a Houge grip.  I have to talk to my FFL and see if he can buy parts from adco since they have that whole no phone orders Bull.

Will the model 1 upper fit with the RRA upper?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
ADCO is showing back order status for many items right now. I wanted an RRA lower parts kit, but I can buy a DPMS parts kit for $44.00 from Brownell's with my discount. Anyone have issues with mixing brands in small parts? I have an RRA lower receiver. My plan  is to install a  RRA match trigger at a later date, so I an not real concerned with the trigger quality , but I would like a good color match.

jtfd5510:
what did you pay for the lower parts kit from RRA?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok so, Adco was on backorder so I just went to RRA and ordered some stuff.  They are a little higher but with free shipping it was about the same.  I got the Lower parts with a Houge grip.  I have to talk to my FFL and see if he can buy parts from adco since they have that whole no phone orders Bull.

Will the model 1 upper fit with the RRA upper?

Should fit with no problem. All of them are made to the same specs (supposedly).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top