Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 8:19:20 AM EDT
Does someone know where I can buy a deactivated AR15 and AK47 for display purposes?

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
pick up a copy of shotgun news.  There are several vendors in there pedling what you seek.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! but I could not find any.
I found two websites that sell a these kind of weapons, but they only have 2 Czech versions of the AK, and they are very different.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe Sarco used to sell dummy M16's. I don't know if they still carry them, try getting on thier website and see.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
not in the US..."once a machinegun, always a machinegun" says the ATF.  You can't use "deactivate" some guns and sell to anyone.

You can have a dummy display gun build from a dummy receiver using real parts.  But I've yet to see an AR15 one, there are some AK dummy guns on gunbroker from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I need those deactivated rifles to display a line of accessories that I distribute and also to test new ones that I import from Israel (I can not get a real rifle here in NYC, so the dummy is the closest I can get).
I saw such dummy guns in two websites but they were Czech variants of the AK, they were different and the accessories did not fit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
clearviewinvest.com has two verions of the hungarian AK built as dummy guns, and i believe  The Hunters Lodge has a dummy m16.   both are in the most recent ShotGun News.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks,

I visited their website and another one that carries the same hungarian variants. As I understood, they are different than the 'conventional' AK47 (the handguards are different and the receiver cover as well - the parts I need to be the same)

I do not have the ShotGun news issue - does 'the hunters lodge' have a website  / do you have their contact info?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
hunterslodge.com

931-7660755             website sucks.  it is just a PDF  of their print ad.  i have only bought from them once.  went well, no complaints.  have heard others bad mouth them, though.  it looks as if they have an AK dummy also(milled version fixed stock).

the front handgaurds on the center fire hungarian AK cam be switched out for the standard one by rotating two levers and purchasing the standard handguard an gas tube.

good luck!

sorry i didn't make the link hot
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Every once in a while, I see resin castings of guns on eBay for ~$150.
They paint them nicely, and state they are overrun movie props.

ETA...  I see training weapons in blue and red in catalogs.
Police use them for training.
Wholesale hunter had some, I think.
I'm certain you can find M16's but not positive about the AK's.

Without knowing how you want to use them, I don't know if these would work.
If you are mounting something to them, it might be a little bit of work and you may have to improvise.
But, if you are taking them to conventions that are not just gunshows, the blue/red might be a plus, security-wise.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#10]
this might just be what you're looking for: http://replicasandmodels.0catch.com/m16.html

It's supposedly built from real GI M16 parts using dummy upper and lower receivers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]
for a "dummy" ar go to  www.tard15.com
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
You can't just build one out of a stripped receiver without any fire control parts and an old used upper with no bolt?  You could leave in the bolt carrier to make it appear to operate, but with ni bolt of FC parts it'd be unable to fire, or even chamber a round.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I contacted some of your suggested sources and they are working on it.

I am already using blue guns, but I need some real ones. Since we are not allowed to carry real guns here in NYC - the dummy ones would be what we need.

Thanks for the avise guys,
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
for a "dummy" ar go to  www.tard15.com

If you dont have something useful to say..
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
He can't build one with a stripped lower because the lower is still considered the firearm, and so no one would sell him one, and possessing one would be considered to possess an AR. 'sides, nothing would stop him then from buying the FC parts and a bolt and have a functioning gun in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
you can try building one from an 80% AR15 lower receiver ...
check out ....there is many vendors selling such... some are even finished black already..

www.footpounds.com

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, well, what kind of accessories are they?  If they are all rail attached, couldn't you just get an upper?  All of the rails are attached to the upper, and unlike the lower, the upper on its own isn't considered a firearm.  You could then mount and display the accessories on the upper.  Heck, you could probably build some sort of stand the upper can attach to for display pretty easily.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]
AIRSOFT !
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AIRSOFT !

I was just thinking that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I should probably move out from NYC and get a real one!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the advise!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd say use an 80% and do some creative welding on the inside so that no fire control parts could fit. It was never even a gun when it started life, and after your done blocking the inside, it never will be. I guess you could fill the entire lower with JB weld if you dont have access to a welder.. lol
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top