Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2004 4:22:29 PM EDT
I still can't get the barrel nut off of my Model 1 upper. It only has 1000 rounds through it so it is relatively new. It came with a free float handguard...does that make a difference? I'm pushing in and turning counter-clockwise with no success. I've even tried tapping the wrench with a hammer.

hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
cheater bar?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you take the gas tube out?  Did you chuck the receiver into vise blocks?  Did you remove the free float tube first?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Kroil?

Apply heat?

Six foot pipe?

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your gas tube's out, as mentioned.

Are you looking at the nut from the muzzle to the receiver? Counterclockwise from that perspective.

Past that, just lean really hard, or get a pipe. My barrel was hard as hell to get off the first time I did a receiver swap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

Yeah the gas tube is out and yes I'm looking at it from the muzzle end. It's also in a block in a vise. I'm just not turning hard enough I guess. I was just scared of breaking something, but here goes.............
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You sometimes need to go 2 grunts passed an arrgghhh!!!

Mark
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top