Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2004 9:03:10 AM EDT
There is a moderator over at www.warrifles.com saying 2 per year is all.
www.warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222&page=2&pp=10 Post #15 and #21

Anyone heard of this before?

What is BATF reg he is talking about?

HW
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
To answer your first question:  As many as you can afford.

I am not sure about the ATF rule he is talking about.  I didn't think building an AR from parts was considered manufacturing, but I've been wrong once before...................once...................and the slim possibility of me being wrong again still exists.

I have heard that if you sell an excessive amount of firearms in a given period, you could be harassed for not having an FFL, but what that magic number is..................I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
He is confused.  If you just buy two lowers at a time, then no added paper work.  When you buy three firearms at a time, then you need to fill out one more form.

As for the amount of firearms that you can buy at any one time, the duraration of your life, or yearly (for personal collection), it just depends on how deep your pockets are (there is no limit).

Note: there may be a state reg that only allowes such (depends on the state), but not at the Fed level.

P.S. just goes to show that some sites will let any ass clown be a mod.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Complete and utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy all you want, and make for yourself with out paying the "Excise Tax"......  The problem comes when you start selling more than a couple a year,  you could be seen as an unlicensed manufacturer and not having paid the excise tax (making tax) per serial # (completed rifle/firearm).

Multiple purchase of handgun requires a bit more paperwork, dealer has to a form notifying authorities of multiple handgun sale on another form, besides the 4473 he does to show disposition of firearms..  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
ALL YOU WANT, mulitple HANDGUN sales require an additional form.  There is no limit established as to haow many firearms a person can buy.

As stated above, buying and selling are like apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ALL YOU WANT, mulitple HANDGUN sales require an additional form.  There is no limit established as to haow many firearms a person can buy.

As stated above, buying and selling are like apples and oranges.

But dont tell that guy (I think it was in FL) who got all his guns taken away.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The multiple sale form for handguns is only if you buy two or more in a short period, like within a week.  As an FFL, I have the forms.  Can't remember ever sending one in.  The customer doesn't fill it out.  The dealer is supposed to.  They're looking for gang-bangers, etc..  Understandable, but I'd have to send one in if a guy bought 3 HK's or SIG's and wanted to take delivery all at once.  I've never seen anything from ATF on multiple sales of receivers or complete long guns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing I can think of is if there might be a local or state ordinance where he is....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
In Maryland you can only buy one AR15 receiver a month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If you go to a different dealer how is anyone going to know?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you go to a different dealer how is anyone going to know?

In Maryland a purchaser has to get a 'background check' by the state police (in addition to completing a 'pistol safety course') before the purchaser is handed over said receiver. In effect a person is registering the reciever with the state, so if you tried to buy from diffrent dealers within a month, the state police would probably come and shoot your dog.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
How many can you afford?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

WTF, is that bullshit all about?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you have a collectores status with MSP you can buy many more than that.  Getting ready to buy three.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, is that bullshit all about?

Maryland does not trust us to buy more than own restricted fire arm within 30 days.  You can buy two an one time but you can not make another purchase for 60 days.  If you have colleters status with the state police you can purchase as many as you want at a time with out the 30 day in between.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have a collectores status with MSP you can buy many more than that.  Getting ready to buy three.

How does one get a 'collectors license'?  Is a fee involved?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I am at 4 for the year so far...

Approved every time the FFL calls.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Collector status?  State Police?  Registering receivers?  Something strange in the air out East!  MA, NY, MD, NJ, what a bunch of jackasses!  And we still call this a free country, wow!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does one get a 'collectors license'?  Is a fee involved?

It's not a "collectors license" exactly.  You fill out a form provided buy the State Police asking them to consider you as a collectore of fire arms.  After you send it in they will mail you a letter stating if you where approed as a collectore or not (takes about 2 weeks).

Once you have this letter you are put into a different catagory for purchases.  When you fill pout the form for an evel type noise maker/hole puncher there is a question asking if you are a collectore or not.  If you are check yes and walk out of the store with 150,000 pistole of different makes and cal.

If you get one take a copy of the letter with you when you buy just in case the dealer asks you any questions or does not believe your statuse.  It's kind of on the honor system but beware if MSP catches you fibbbing.

Most shops should have a copy for you if not call the MSP firearms Diision and they will tell you how to get one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Collector status?  State Police?  Registering receivers?  Something strange in the air out East!  MA, NY, MD, NJ, what a bunch of jackasses!  And we still call this a free country, wow!

You got that right. The govt out here is out of control!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that right. The govt out here is out of control!

Word yo!

For us you can thank the asshole in Baltimore and out side D.C. that messed alot of it up for us in MD.   I forgot the salad tossers in Annapolis.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
....so if you tried to buy from diffrent dealers within a month, the state police would probably come and shoot your dog.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#24]
What gets me about threads where you get into the whole ATF he said/she said/check the website  pissing matches is NOBODY EVER JUST CALLS THE ATF AND ASKS!

Ive had questions before, called the local branch of the ATF and got answers. If they couldn't answer it they refered me to the boys in VA. I always asked if they would mail me a paper copy of the ruling, which most of the time they happily did, along with a letter from the officer I spoke with concerning the matter.

Easy enough. <---Yup, thats a period.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you just buy two lowers at a time, then no added paper work.  When you buy three firearms at a time, then you need to fill out one more form.

Uhhh.... when did this happen?  I have bought three or more long guns at a time... NEVER had any such extra form.  4473.  That all.  Nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You can buy all you want, and make for yourself with out paying the "Excise Tax"......  The problem comes when you start selling more than a couple a year,  you could be seen as an unlicensed manufacturer and not having paid the excise tax (making tax) per serial # (completed rifle/firearm).

Disposing of personally manufactured firearms is a grey area.  If you make and then sell without good cause (e.g. need cash for health bills, etc) you could get in trouble.  Making 2 and then selling them a year or two later would not be generally suggested.

Someone making more than what is commonly expected usage for a person could also get you in trouble.  How many is that number?  It is grey.  Build 10 in a short time frame, you are likely pushing the envelope.  Make 2 probably not a big deal.  If you start selling some of the 10 you just made, without good cause, you are really pushing the envelope.

Multiple purchase of handgun requires a bit more paperwork, dealer has to a form notifying authorities of multiple handgun sale on another form, besides the 4473 he does to show disposition of firearms..  

A dealer who sells 2 or more handguns in a 5 business day period is required to send in a multiple sales handgun report within 24 hours.  Form includes manu/SN/make/type, etc.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got 10 Stag receivers from Eaglefirearms yesterday.  Here in Nevada there is no limit.

556man
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just got 10 Stag receivers from Eaglefirearms yesterday.  Here in Nevada there is no limit.

556man

So your the reason they are out of stock.  Now I have to wait another week or two.  Thanks alot
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

So your the reason they are out of stock.  Now I have to wait another week or two.  Thanks alot

Nah, I'm the reason; I ordered 10 last Friday and they shipped today
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

556man

Nah, I'm the reason; I ordered 10 last Friday and they shipped today

Yep!  DavidC is the reason they are out of stock.   Chris told me he would ship mine next week when his next shipment of receivers arrive.

556man
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
... In Arizona?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
He is confused.  If you just buy two lowers at a time, then no added paper work. When you buy three firearms at a time, then you need to fill out one more form.

As for the amount of firearms that you can buy at any one time, the duraration of your life, or yearly (for personal collection), it just depends on how deep your pockets are (there is no limit).

Note: there may be a state reg that only allowes such (depends on the state), but not at the Fed level.

The part highlighted in red is correct.  I purchased 3 lowers and my FFL split the transaction in 2 so I wouldn't have to do the extra paperwork.  Just picked up one of the lowers 2 weeks later.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He is confused.  If you just buy two lowers at a time, then no added paper work. When you buy three firearms at a time, then you need to fill out one more form.

The part highlighted in red is correct.  I purchased 3 lowers and my FFL split the transaction in 2 so I wouldn't have to do the extra paperwork.  Just picked up one of the lowers 2 weeks later.

Can someone point to the ATF requirments for this?  I am curious... because I just picked up three from my FFL and there was no extra form.  All three went on the 4473.... and that was it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone point to the ATF requirments for this?  I am curious... because I just picked up three from my FFL and there was no extra form.  All three went on the 4473.... and that was it.

It's been a year or so since I purcased the lowers but I  remember him saying that by purchasing 3 or more firearms (and a lower is considered a firearm) he would have to report the excessive purchase to the BATF.  I've never looked it up myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If these were for handguns, then he broke federal law by seperating the transactions...  For long guns, then he was trying to get around some state law, as federal law does not limit quantity bought on a 4473.

Federal regulations are:

More than 2 pistols within 5 business days, extra form for multiple handguns purchase must be filled out by dealer on top of 4473.  You can put as many longguns/handguns onto one 4473, just have to fill out seperate MHPR form.

You can transfer as many firearms (long gun or handgun) as you want on ONE 4473.  The form only has room for 3, but you attach a seperate piece of paper with the information and you are good to go, per ATF regulations.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You can transfer as many firearms (long gun or handgun) as you want on ONE 4473.  The form only has room for 3, but you attach a seperate piece of paper with the information and you are good to go, per ATF regulations.

mark
[email protected]

Thanks Mark.... thats exactly as I understood it.  Perhaps some FFL's just arent very aware of the law.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Thanks Mark.... thats exactly as I understood it.  Perhaps some FFL's just arent very aware of the law.

It is in the regs and "those" type of FFL's are what give the business a bad name.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:52:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I hear some of you saying how many guns you sell can get you in trouble as well. Does this pertain only to private sales? I couldn't imagine there being any kind of grey area for transfers conducted through an FFL.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I hear some of you saying how many guns you sell can get you in trouble as well. Does this pertain only to private sales? I couldn't imagine there being any kind of grey area for transfers conducted through an FFL.

Generally, quantity sales of different firearms through an FFL are not "grey" as far as federal regulations go, they are fine.  Private sales are a little greyer.

Generally, if a non-FFL buys & sells with the goal of making money, then it is black and white - illegal.
Generally, if a non-FFL buys & sells with the goal of improving their collection, it usually is OK, but quantity of firearms going through their hands can affect this.
Generally, if a collector is selling off their collection without buying new guns, they are usually OK.

State laws can affect the above also.  It really depends if some agency believes you are breaking the laws, they will prosecute you.  It is grey enough area in some cases, that you should be careful and try to document what you are doing and why.  This could be writing a statement on a bill of sale, etc.  I am not a lawyer, so you really need to look into this yourself.  I am telling you from reading the regs and talking to regulators over the years.

Best of luck!

mark
[email protected]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top