Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 10:51:03 PM EDT
I keep having mine come loose while shooting, and it's getting really annoying.  

What do you guys do?  Teflon tape?  Locktite?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a tool to torque mine down. The VLTOR one I have has circles instead of cut out squares. The old kind I torqued with a dinner fork once, and it didn't come loose until I took it off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't have a tool to torque mine down. The VLTOR one I have has circles instead of cut out squares. The old kind I torqued with a dinner fork once, and it didn't come loose until I took it off.

And I even have the armorers wrench!  I've torqued that sucker as much as I felt was safe, but she still gets loose.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Try loc-tite. Make sure you get the removable kind though
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I even have the armorers wrench!  I've torqued that sucker as much as I felt was safe, but she still gets loose.

Mine hasn't come loose - but then again I've never put it through any real paces.  Blue loctite is usually the best way to go in cases like you describe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the correct way is to stake it in place. I prefer blue Loctite for such tasks though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe the correct way is to stake it in place. I prefer blue Loctite for such tasks though.

Stake?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
stake it.. indeed.  take a center punch and tap the backplate, causing it to lock against the notch in the nut.  

easy to remove with a punch later, won't come undone.

-luke
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
stake it.. indeed.  take a center punch and tap the backplate, causing it to lock against the notch in the nut.  

easy to remove with a punch later, won't come undone.

-luke

IIRC, I believe this is the "milspec" way it is done.  Don't want that thing coming loose when the SHTF.  I believe this would only work with the ones with the four wrench slots on one side and the four, smaller staking slots on the other.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Staking it is unnecessary.

Use blue or purple Locktite ("Service Removable").

The receiver and buffer tube, and lockring must be grease/oil free.

Put a drop on the threads of the tube as you screw it into the receiver.  If you put it on the receiver itself, it will be pushed ahead of the tube and possibly get in the buffer retainer.

Once you have the buffer tube screwed in until it covers part of the retainer, almost touching the tit on the retainer, slide the plate forward, compressing the rear takedown pin detent and spring.  Be careful to not crimp the spring.

Place a drop of Locktite on the threads where the lockring will spin up to the plate.  Spin up the lockring and snug it up by hand with a CAR wrench (spanner).

It won't come loose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used blue locktite, and wrench. Never came loose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I use CA (crazy glue) on mine. I torqued it down and then just ozzed some over the threads. It comes off pretty easy too. Plus I always seem to have some around.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top