Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 11:39:33 AM EDT
Hey all, I'm just working up a list of To-Do's to get as many of my evil rifles back to no-ban state as possible, and I came up with this one.  Any advice from the pro/amature smiths on board about how to go about removing a silver soldered brake from a 20" A2 barrel so I can re-install the A-2 FH?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You will have to heat the brake up to 1100 degrees to remove the solder. A mapp gas torch will usually do this. It will also discolor the parkerizing on the barrel so you will be looking for a park job also.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Send it to KKF !
Do not try & use a torch to heat it up enough to remove it, If you do You will have to apply Alot of heat ( You will probably have to use 2 mapp torches) to melt the solder while turning the brake off with a wrench, This is not good for the barrel.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top