Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 6:37:32 PM EDT
I recently picked up a cheap olympic striped flat top upper before I knew that olympic produced both forged and cast uppers, so my question is how do you tell what it is?. the only distinguishing marks are the shattered oly A, the oly peace sign witness mark above the gas tube hole, and a little indentation where colt puts their mark just forward of the ejection port. a local gun smith said that it could have been a reject that some one ground the mark off and refinished it, I dont know how much truth their is to that, so I came here to consult the AR gods.

-SHEP 1/179th
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
THE ONLY UPPER RECIVER OLY MAKES THAT IS CAST IS THE ( A1 UPPER FOR THE PLINKER TYPE RIFLE)  THE REST ARE FORGED

WILLAIM
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It is forged, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
THE ONLY UPPER RECIVER OLY MAKES THAT IS CAST IS THE ( A1 UPPER FOR THE PLINKER TYPE RIFLE)  THE REST ARE FORGED

WILLAIM

The A1 upper for the superlite is forged, too (I think).  I know for a fact that the lower is, anyway.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top