Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:31:32 PM EDT
My lower did not come drilled with the hole for the spring and detent that holds a push style pivot pin in place.  I would like to have this hole drilled.  Has anyone drilled this hole out themselves?  Any recommendations for gunsmiths that have or would do this?

I have access to machines and have downloaded drawings showing the exact location.  So, I wouldn't imagine that it would be that difficult.  But, If you've had the experience, are there any tips or tricks that I should look out for?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you have a Colt lower that originally came w/a screw type hinge pin; because if you've got any other brand, you need to send it back to the manufacturer for fixing.

I've never done the job myself (never had to; my Colt AR is an SP1) so I can't offer any tips; but maybe bouncing this post back up to the top will trigger a reponse from someone who has
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If the lower is Colt, call Colt CS.  You can have it drilled.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have done it.   Its not hard if you have access to a drill press.  Dont do it by hand.  I turded the lower up on its (end with no stock on it) and took a c clamp and clamped it to the drill press table.  Use a thin piece of wood between the clamp and the lower so you dont mess it up.  You have to put the correct size bit in the press (a sharp one) and line up the lower so the hole will be in the correct place.  It must be correct or the push pin and the detent wont line up.  Go slow and work the bit in and out.  Measure so you dont go to far in, I had another lower to measure from so it was easy for me.  After I drilled the hole and the weep hole in the side I used some good blueing on the fresh alluminum and you cant tell it isnt factory.  I wouldnt try it without a press, you will mess it up.  You must have a Colt match lower, that it what I drilled.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top