Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2004 4:44:25 PM EDT
can someone please give me a link or some help. i searched the www and theres nothing out there............tia
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is an A1/A2 butstock, things are pretty simple.  Unscrew the top screw on the end of the stock.  The stock itself should come right off at this point.  Now take a 5/8 inch open end wrench and unscrew the buffer tube.  You probably want to have the upper and lower seperated at this point.  While unscrewing the buffer tube, hold the buffer retainer pin in with your thumb.  If you don't, it will most likely fly up and out when the buffer tube is unscrewed and you will have to search for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Any info on how many pounds of torque it needs to get the buffer tube off?  Was trying to replace my A2 with a RRA entry butstock and am having a VERY difficult time getting the buffer tube out.  Got a feeling it was locktited in place, but, I could be wrong.   Any ideas on my problem?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Army manual says to put it on use 35-39 ft-lb so maybe to take it off would be close to that.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any info on how many pounds of torque it needs to get the buffer tube off?  Was trying to replace my A2 with a RRA entry butstock and am having a VERY difficult time getting the buffer tube out.  Got a feeling it was locktited in place, but, I could be wrong.   Any ideas on my problem?

Have you tried liquid wrench or heating the tube to take it off.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
no.  What is the best way of heating the buffer tube/reciever extension without damaging the reciever?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
im trying to take the top screw out and its in there really good. ive used my biggest screwdriver and the screw head is begining to get munged up. any tricks to getting this sucker out?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I had this problem when I swapped my standard stock out for a VLTOR.

I was able to easily separate the stock/tube assembly from the lower receiver, but I had problems separating the buffer tube from the stock.  

Since I didn't want to take a big wrench to the buffer tube and screw up the threads, here's what I did:

First, I put some CLP on the big screw on the back of the buttstock, and let it set for a few mintues.

Then, I reinstalled the stock/tube assembly back onto my lower receiver.

Then I put the front of the lower receiver on the ground (with the buttstock facing straight up) and applied downward pressure on both the receiver and the screwdriver when I tried to unscrew the buttstock from the buffer tube.  I think I also held the buttstock/receiver joint so that it wouldn't unscrew.

That worked for me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top